If Trump shuts Mexico border US will run out of avocados in three weeks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/01/if-trump-shuts-mexico-border-u.html

7 Likes

2fae4070d678e0b376ac9cabc1ec7d9112d84c43

31 Likes

Down with green fruit butter!

8 Likes

Here’s a recipe for mock guacamole.

That the recipe writer did not call this stuff “mockamole” is almost as bad as the recipe itself. Eugh.

27 Likes

5b97ba3a044d03b265ac4d560d822eb1bae35c8d_1_441x499

49 Likes

The war on millennials and their avocado toast has begun…

21 Likes

Hopefully we have enough tequila to dull the pain.

16 Likes

A closed border is going to make things extremely difficult for American businesses with branches or plants in Mexico, especially the auto industry.

Also, say goodbye to tequila, mezcal, Mexican beer, cheap tomatoes, chile peppers and bell peppers, all Mexican-sourced coffee, and lots of other produce.

35 Likes

Without avocados, our entire giant sloth population may go extinct!

10 Likes

Should that happen, I can sell the fruit from my tree at astronomical prices.

21 Likes

OK, let me just say, the Gen Xers certainly get on with their avocado toast. Don’t F with our avocado toast!

For me, THIS IS THE LAST STRAW WITH TRUMP! /s

8 Likes

California and Florida grow these babies, also. Millennials may rest easy (as far as avocados go, anyway).

Mexico is the second biggest market for US exports. They buy as much of our stuff as Japan, China and the UK put together. Shutting down the border would be nothing short of devastating for the US economy.

42 Likes

Not in season here yet though.

9 Likes

My garden can’t support this. I’m not eating thyme on my toast.

wtf ?

3 Likes

As a Canadian, I find this deeply concerning.

Mexico provides us with a lot of produce, especially in the winter months. It comes by land, which means it has to go through the U.S. first.

13 Likes
27 Likes

Y’know, if I was Trump and/or Stephen Miller and I wanted to make the crisis at the border look as bad as possible and artificially create a sudden overwhelming surge of immigrants that I could point to and say “See? It’s a mob! We need a wall!!”, one sure fire way to do that would be to threaten to permanently close the border any day now, wink wink.

17 Likes

I hope he does. The poor chumps who were suckered by the Con-mander in Chief might learn a lesson when their food budget doubles.

2 Likes

I am a patient foodie.

1 Like