If Trump's coup attempt fails, beware of another attempt by a smarter, slicker fascist

So, all of “them” are the devil and all of “us” are angels? Gotcha.

1 Like

That is horrible. Why the hell would you go in guns drawn tothe home of a data scientist?

2 Likes

Those who are still hanging on at this point know they’ve broken the law in one way or another and are stupid or desperate enough to think that this deranged narcissist will give them a pardon. It’s truly the bottom of the barrel when even a rat like Barr is looking for a way to scramble out.

6 Likes

I think it’s a good idea to go after criminals and not fail to prosecute them because of how it would look politically.

Sounds great to me!

Perhaps some context might help:

8 Likes

And point guns at the scientist’s kids? I agree it’s terrible.

Not following the regime’s authority I guess.

6 Likes

Nah - just go after the people that evidence shows may have been involved in criminal activities.

11 Likes

It’ll be a nice change from the highly politicised Justice Dept. that protected criminals that we saw over the past four years while conservatives and self-described anti-statists remained silent.

10 Likes

The criminal justice system should both prosecute and not prosecute people without being influenced by their political connections.

9 Likes

1 Like

McCain and Romney didn’t really run as fascists though.

When one of McCain’s supporters accused Obama of being a secret Muslim McCain immediately chided her for spreading misinformation. Neither McCain nor Romney tried to brush aside basic laws, conventions and social norms in a bid to get elected, and both conceded gracefully when they lost.

We still don’t know how well “every bit as evil, lawless and shameless as Trump but not a complete dumbass” would fly because we haven’t seen it yet.

11 Likes

45’s enablers constitute what you’d call a “target rich environment” for prosecution. Just look at the number of indictments and convictions in his inner circle, even with 45 and his handpicked AGs running interference.

8 Likes

I know what you mean, and I think it would be a mistake to let the Turmp regime (appear to) get away with it unchallenged. And it would be a mistake to think that Republicans would ever return a favor. But there’s also a potential mistake in imagining this process could be “not political”.

The feds can notoriously find anyone guilty of something, so if the DoJ is given carte blanche to investigate some group, they’re just going to churn out convictions at whatever rate and volume is expected of them. Regardless of whether every Turmp appointee deserves it – and most probably do – the fact is the Executive can jail anyone it wants, so it can’t really prove anything by doing so.

IMO, the Biden administration should pick a small set of egregious, useful examples, prosecute them decisively, and be clear that, yes, this is a curated playlist. That’s how Nuremberg worked.

(by “useful” I mean, things like overt bribes and electoral abuses, where a conviction or two might actually deter someone from doing it next time)

(also, I’m only talking about criminal prosecution; the Biden admin should of course fire every single person hired in the last four years)

5 Likes

Oh, I’m bewaring…

Guillotine_PM

6 Likes

Bush was not the smarts running things during the Bush presidency. Chaney was. Bush was the friendly, bumbling innocent face fronting it.

It’s not the guy with the fake smile on the TV we have to worry about, it’s the people around him who avoid the spotlight and tell him what he should do that we have to worry about. In Trumps case he’s so bad at following advice (or, indeed, understanding it) that all the smarter political allies who knew the limits of how far they could push things and still keep credibility all got thrown under the bus, leaving only the Mnuchens, Millers, and other various reptiles that lack any credibility or any smarts beyond cartoonish villiany surrounding him (you could put almost any of them into a Batman movie and not even need a change of costume). That put a hard limit on what trump could accomplish, leaving him mostly just letting things fall apart on their own though neglect. I’m not sure we can trust that in the future we don’t end up with someone just as bad, but who doesn’t spend all his time on the golf course congratulating himself and who makes an attempt at actually running the government and the has enough smarts to actually listen to and follow the advice of his evil councilors.

2 Likes

What does the fact that they are a data scientist have to do with anything? Suspects are suspects.

Data workers deploy data, not physical weapons. I used to be able to warn that I would not stab a person but I could boost their insurance rates. What, you think your collision or homeowners’ coverage is safe? Hah!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if sarcasm. Firearms are for defending from being imminently killed of for killing. Neither of those two seem likely or appropriate in this particular home. If their intel said otherwise, then their eyes and ears should have corrected the mistake more quickly.

1 Like

From the headline:

If Trump’s coup attempt fails…
(emphasis mine)

Yeah, so Biden has apparently won the popular vote & the Electoral College, but it’s all nowhere near Official.
The fact that the vast majority of GOP congresscritters (as well as legions of State & Local officials, not to mention his cult) are still disputing the results of the election should give everyone pause; there is still opportunity for ratfuckery to be done by them. Keep in mind how many of them voted for impeachment; now speculate how many of them would object if/when Lord Dampnut declares a National Emergency & imposes Martial Law.

He is a cornered animal, as are the members of his corrupt regime. I don’t put anything past them.

2 Likes

Democratia, quia popularis regiminis, est superesse vigilantia cotidie sicut puer non putabat.

[clears throat]

2 Likes