If we ate bread the way we drank beer

4 Likes

I’m drinking, right now.

5 Likes

They’re structurally similar, cause they’re hollow and leavened by steam. But the texture is completely different. Popovers are derived from Yorkshire Pudding, and pretty much identical to Yorkshire Pudding. So they’re made from a batter similar to crepe batter, and have a stretchy, eggy, bready thing going on. They’re denser and less delicate than gougere, and if made properly the hollow is a lot bigger.

You can kind of get an idea of the texture looking at one cut open:

Like Yorkshire Pudding ideally you get a thin, bready wall in a single layer with a large cavity. Where as Choux pastries and gougere tend to have multi-layed/flakey walls with a smaller hollow.

4 Likes

So, is gravy and roast beef in a Yorkshire pudding a sandwich?
runs and hides under the bed

2 Likes

With beer. You’ve got to wash it down. :slight_smile:

But no body puts the beef in the pudding. You just fill it with gravy (also butter) and get nasty on that shit. My cousin in law puts peas in there, because the English are gross.

But I’m also reasonably sure it predates the sandwich. So perhaps its a step along the way. Like its bread with stuff in it, but its not a finger food or particularly clean.

2 Likes

7 Likes

peas porridge sounds really great right now.
I’m sick as a dog and need bland soft food.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of wrinkly peas (not soft) so I’d be into that. Just making a joke due to auto-correct.

4 Likes

I’ll leave you all to wonder why the spell check on my phone changes peas to pees.

DAMNED IF I KNOW.

2 Likes

Congee is excellent for that. Boil then simmer rice until they’ve dissolved into porridge.

3 Likes

A strange pub food over the past decade or so has involved using a Yorkshire pudding like a burrito, with the contents of a roast inside.

2 Likes

That sounds great!

When I was growing up, my family often made Toad-in-the-Hole with leftover roast beef — essentially a Yorkshire pudding with slices of roast beef baked right into it.

Most people seem to know Toad-in-the-Hole made with sausages, but it could be any leftover meat. My dad had a copy of the very cookbook from the 1950s that this recipe is taken from, and it uses roast beef, so that’s the way that I know it. It was always one of my favorite dinners.

3 Likes

NukeML noticed your post in the Crarfting thread … nice home brew kit btw

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.