If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Yes, it’s a pestilence in our area. I either yank it out by the roots when they’re small (easiest after a rain), or cut it down with a Sawzall + pruning blade (or chainsaw) and then apply Tordon to the stump.

The cutting is much smaller than a tree (no scale) – it’s an elderberry cane, leafing out nicely.

6 Likes

Nightsight:

8 Likes

Moving inexorably East

Storm chaser caught the bolt that started the fire, nearly two weeks ago now:

11 Likes

This is about others seeing something IRL:

13 Likes

No worries, you’re welcome!

4 Likes

And it turns out, we’re small potatoes. Also, I hear wildfire season is starting out early in CA.

8 Likes

Infuriatingly ends before the next morning, so I don’t know what the aftermath looks like.

Some background: behind the camera the road Ts: left to Summerhaven and the observatory, right for the long winding way down to Tucson. The only other way out of the mountains is to drive straight forward past the fire station: this takes you to a winding dirt track, 4x4 recommended, that eventually takes you down into the San Pedro river valley.

What I saw this afternoon and night:

IMG_20200618_220258

9 Likes

I mean… if this were a horror movie, I’d be yelling run…

5 Likes

To paraphrase @Mindysan33 – Holy fuck!!!

4 Likes

It’s supposed to have moved north and east, but it surprised everyone and sent an arm down Ventana Canyon.

7 Likes

More Ventana Canyon. These and last two from my parents’ house on the east side.

Partway home

Home

11 Likes

I brought my mother home from Mass General for in-home hospice today, and in this shit of a day three things made me smile and/or LOL.

Seen at a red light.
I’m amazed this got by the DMV, but then again it’s not widely used in the US as an exclamation as our friends in the UK use it.
IMG_20200619_135839

And speaking of bollocks, the first set of truck nuts I’ve seen in the wild!
IMG_20200619_160521
(just want to add I was driving safely as the phone was still in the dash mount and I had neglected to close the camera app from earlier, but I did have to change lanes to get this. Also, I’m not as close as it looks, wicked cropped photo. :wink:)

@chgoliz that telescope video gave me happy tears!

14 Likes

So sorry to hear that. I hope you can keep finding bright moments.

Unicorn Chasers Thread

11 Likes

One of the first things I look at every morning! Thank you. :heart:

7 Likes

Christ, that’s frightening.

6 Likes

What was the third thing? Or are you counting the truck nuts as two? :chestnut: :chestnut:

6 Likes

@MrShiv
That would work… giggles, but it was @chgoliz’s post above. :wink:

4 Likes

Usually little smoke visible mornings, but today

9 Likes

Wow, just wow.

4 Likes

We take a break now from pictures of Mount Doom to bring you flowers.

Loofah

Sunflower and visitor

Desert Willow

15 Likes