If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

TIL: I always thought a loofah was a type of sea creature like a sponge.

It’s more like a cucumber…even has a squash-like flower.

10 Likes

Tastes pretty bad.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Yep! Some from our last harvest (we use them for dishes):

And a new one growing right now:

13 Likes

Nine-thirty AM and 105° (with 11% humidity).

Knock on wood, but we don’t seem to be adding more than about 5° by afternoon, so not as bad as two summers ago. Still, very ready for the monsoon.

10 Likes

I’ve always avoided them because I thought they were like sponges. But they’re plants and easily grown, so…time to get scrubbing!

9 Likes

People always make fun of Chicago’s weather, but there is nothing in the winter I find as bad as either the dry heat of the Southwestern or the humid heat of the Southeastern parts of the States. You can always put more layers ON when it’s cold. There’s only so far you can strip when it’s sweltering.

9 Likes

10 Likes

On top of everything else, you got a dog damned active volcano there!

Sorry. I’ll see myself out.

5 Likes

My son is convinced that it’s Mount Oblivion.

5 Likes

Socially distanced backyard concert

Circles 2m apart, port-o-potty, bring your own chairs, etc.

14 Likes

8 Likes

Yep, see upthread.

2 Likes

Day…and night. It had looked like it was getting better.

I hear containment is back down.

Update: smoky morning (I think I can smell it now).

https://www.kold.com/2020/06/20/update-bighorn-fire-grows-acres-drops-percent-containment/

For the Ventana Canyon area, the fire has run out of fuel and doesn’t have the ability to back through the area. For Esperero Canyon, they are waiting for the fire to get lower so crews can attack it.

For the second day in a row, officials said there has been a lot of traffic in the area. They are asking non-residents to stay out so crews can do their jobs.

13 Likes

15 Likes

Title: Things Sticking Up From Inside Other Things

6 Likes

Damn.

On Friday, June 19, the Bighorn Fire was at 40 percent containment. However, the fire has rapidly spread through the Oracle Ridge and Peppersauce areas. The largest change occurred on June 17, when strong winds fanned the flames across the mountain ridges, burning more than 12,000 acres. Before June 17, the most destructive day burned less than 3,700 acres. Since June 17, every day has seen more than 5,500 acres burned.

If anyone is curious about the perspective of my pictures, I’m in the fourth grid square from the left (east) and probably four or more grid squares south of the bottom of the map. My parents’ house, from which I’ve taken a few pictures is pretty much the center of the map and perhaps just a hair south of the bottom line.

Addendum: I’m still have trouble finding images or discussion of the extent of the damage. I know on Pusch Ridge a lot of saguaros died, which is always a tragedy. But I think most of the fire had been above the desert level, in areas more analogous to California oak savanna and higher up conifer forest. Either of these, depending on conditions, can be resilient or even reliant on fires, so I don’t know if they have also been devastated (i.e. trees killed), or if they will recover.

The next concern is that the monsoon is on the way. It probably won’t show up in time to stop the fire, but if the vegetation damage is extensive then damaging soil erosion, mudslides and flooding are likely.

14 Likes

My husband took this photo of a neighborhood decoration for me

I wonder if a bored K-8 teacher lives here? This is at least the 4th decoration they’ve put up since mid March. Each iteration generally lasts 3-4 weeks. They had a really cool outer space one that was gone when I thought about taking a picture.

Damn.

Still, the dinosaurs look chill. :t_rex:

15 Likes

This afternoon.

Night:

Moving east…for reference check the location of the street light in earlier pictures.

14 Likes

As seen from the airport.

14 Likes

On the plus side, we have a mask ordinance now. Whether it’s being obeyed…

5 Likes