If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

13 Likes

How far can you throw 30-50 of them?

7 Likes

a bushel and a peccary

10 Likes

How’s that convert into hogsheads?

8 Likes

reckon it’d take a pair o’ stones
to chuck any those hoary bastards!
in Boston, it might even be a buttload!
sorry. not trying to ham it up too much, just javalina good time!

7 Likes

Saw this at the pharmacy and was mightily amused.
20201216_151121

19 Likes

Haha! One year as a kind of gag gift for Mr. Linkey I filled a piñata with bean-o and other anti-flatulence products.

He loved it. :blush:

14 Likes

13 Likes

13 Likes

26 Likes

MY 5yo daughter has inherited my fear of imaginary things to an acute degree. The latest example is essentially a dirty, torn old sheet of heavy-weight poly that the parks department used to block some work being done on the bridge. They never finished taking it down and now it just hangs there. At first I was frustrated at her “irrational” fear, but summoned my patience and have tried to walk her through being brave in the face of it.

My latest effort has involved taking pictures of it she could look at at home, in a safe space. Of course, now that I’m actually studying the things themselves and putting myself in her mindset, I’m now becoming increasingly terrified of it. I’m legit worried about my dreams being haunted by the Llorona hanging from the underside of the bridge, her unspeakable face obscured in mind-spinning mystery.

You literally could not pay me enough to walk under this bridge at night at this point. I don’t need to end up smearing a peanut butter solution on my fear-balded pate, and end up sedated in a paint-brush factory…

17 Likes

We’re expecting! Baby peppers, that is :slight_smile:

Wait, in December, you say?!

Well, yes…they’ve been houseplants all this time, because I didn’t plant them outdoors. They didn’t get direct sunlight during the summer (being indoors under the roof) and you can see how they didn’t grow straight and tall :frowning:

But now that it’s winter in Minnesota, and the sun is so low in the sky, it’s actually coming in the south window and shining on the plants. They are budding/flowering now, and one is fruiting now. Can you see the new little peppers growing?

pepper babies and flower closeup

@Tamsin_Bailey did you get peppers from your plants?

21 Likes

I did! The one on the right failed but the other grew to about 12cm. I nipped it off the plant and it ripened to a deep red over a few days and then I ate it in a stir fry just before Halloween.

19 Likes

Wonderful! :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize that they ripen/redden off the plant—I’m glad you mentioned that :slight_smile:

The reason I planted these ones is that I had the most delicious red pepper I had ever had in my life, so I saved the seeds to try to grow them. Of course, I’m sure a lot has to do with proper sunlight and soil…we shall see.

10 Likes

Neither did I, but I learned because I’m lazy!
I meant to cook it but kept forgetting and then I realised it was ripening more so I left it.

My mother grew a seedling on in the garden from the same seeds and the plant was much larger than mine and gave more fruit but none of them made it to a viable size. I suspect this means the warmth is important as they had more soil and space than my pot.

Good luck!

10 Likes

A volunteer lettuce desperately trying to grow in my garden in December. It’s nearly Christmas forchristsake!

17 Likes

Your prescience was well minded for a time 'til haste and exhaustion stripped it from my mind i’the course of most untimely battle.

We passed a week in October on our tract, and as I took to slashing at the vile tree-borne serpents, one did chance a stinging blow across my cheek. It did burn and swell, but I persisted, laboring as I was to free the gnarled chain of my saw from a vine-tensed trunk.

I could have seen the end of this cursed touch had I bathed and wrapped myself in fresh garments, but a base spirit of my own expediency had whispered that my laundring-load would happier be were I to don the same stain’d cloth for each day’s battle while fresh encounters laid yet before me.

Thus after, a weeks-long plague of itch did I suffer. Boils burned at my wrists and elbow-pits and to my very throat and face they climbed. This cilice of fools-regret I bore until a hearty and observed scouring with the tinctures of the madman Bronner did strip the burning oils from my flesh and ease me of my suffering.

Never again. For next to god in my cleanliness shall I be on these lands henceforth. Beside these serpents, this new-learned habit shall serve as well to keep the sickness of the burrow’ng blood-drinkers from my veins.

No visions of this plague have I to share. Tis well enough, for e’en obscured by The Spoiler’s tags they would be naught for fair eyes such as those that tread these boards.

28 Likes

Find an empty one-gallon plastic milk or water jug, keep the cap on, cut the bottom part off with a razor knife.

Press the jug thing into the soil to cover the lettuce plant–you’ve got a cloche now, and that lettuce will definitely grow and you can start harvesting. Works better if you can mulch the surrounding soil. A big pile of fall leaves works fine.

If it gets freezing cold, keep the cloche on and mulch on top of the cloche about a foot deep. Push the mulch off the cloche if temperatures rise above freezing overnights.

On really hot days, just take the cap off the top but remember to put it back on before sundown.

Spray with diluted seaweed emulsion to boost tolerance to cold temps. This will improve the taste of the lettuce and I promise it will not taste of seaweed.

18 Likes

If Ahab had developed an obsessive fixation over poison ivy, this is the story Melville would’ve told. Well done!

14 Likes

Great stuff!

9 Likes