If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

The Brood X invasion is ongoing…

13 Likes

Cool!
Start the party!

I’ll be over here.

10 Likes

I remember a flock of feral parrots/parakeets (green, maybe grackle-sized) that lived in SE Austin (near where I worked, out by the airport)…

From today’s paper’s Food section:

11 Likes

They’ve been sucking on tree sap for 17 years, how bad could they be?

If the critters were in New England they’d be putting them on pancakes.

7 Likes

14 Likes

Every time I ventured out today I would get at least three or four of the little guys trying to hitch a ride.

They are quite adorable and stupid. Trees aren’t blue. Or moving.

17 Likes

Probably monk parakeets. Extremely loud, create condo nests where they all live together (helps them get through the winter in cold climates), cluster together on a tree to poop all over whatever is underneath? They seem so cool the first time you see them, but if they live in your neighborhood you will quickly grow to hate them.

8 Likes

Can confirm.
And oh yes, they are loud. Green and pretty and loud and very social, so they travel and roost in flocks.
Loud loud flocks.

https://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/monk-parakeet/

5 Likes

Poor Noel Neill, whoever that is. ETA: Turns out Noel Neill was the actress who played Lois Lane for Superman TV series and movies of the late 1940s and 1950s. Getting second billing as usual. I’ll bet her statue isn’t even half the size of this one. (We’ll check on our return trip.) Anyway, it’s clear that Metropolis, IL is celebrating the Superman of the 1950s – pre-Crisis for sure. There’s a real “Happy Days” feeling around here. Never mind that Superman was actually from Krypton and grew up in Smallville, and that Metropolis was the name of a much larger city where Clark Kent was employed.

This town is Supe-cray

12 Likes

this “alien volunteer” bulb appeared in one of my garden beds early in February. interesting, so I transplantrd it into a large pot:

now it is blooming and my plant ID app says it is a wild “stream orchid”. the flowers are tiny little orchids, all right! cute!

also making funny “cucumber-like” seed pods.
weird. I’ll keep it around.

26 Likes

Be careful. Those pods look cute when they’re little, but…
Hungry Feed Me GIF

21 Likes

14 Likes

Kind of what my neighborhood sounds like right now…

Cicadas from outer space!

11 Likes

I had (still have) a CD like this that I bought for a radio prod. class I took 30 years ago. The sound effects were very dated, even then, but we were recording a radio show, which was also very dated, even then… Some track titles were more imaginative than the sounds themselves, e.g. “Ghosts in Space (Stereofect [sic])”, “Anti-matter Charges Exploding” and “Space Crab.”

6 Likes

17 years underground for this:

Smoke em if ya got’em.

13 Likes

oi! cicada sex, much as could be expected.
very much like “love bugs” ( see: https://images.app.goo.gl/XVhiJ1NKEPerhJf68. )
thank dog they don’t infest these islands! bastards can ruin a car’s finish. same with those noisy cicadas.
get a room! and get off my lawn!

8 Likes

Random pics from Helsinki, Finland

Trash cans for cyclists.

Burned out sauna stoves.

23 Likes

Here’s an absolute kaiju my daughter and I saw in the park this morning

20 Likes

Gamera is a friend to the children.

11 Likes
11 Likes