If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Pear blossom, perhaps?

4 Likes

Kulovesi (fast moving forest fire water or dry grass water), Nokia (beaver or maybe dark furry animal), Finland as seen from a moving train.

11 Likes

Self-hate and desperation.

Comet Leonard… I didn’t get to see it yet, but my nephew managed to take a picture of the comet this week.

14 Likes

Viewing conditions were really poor, and the comet didn’t brighten much at all.

9 Likes

I think since Halley’s Comet I’ve had no luck with these space ice balls. When comet Leonard became more visible in the Southern Hemisphere, it was right when summer began, the wettest season in Rio.

My nephew lives in another state, far from light pollution and surrounded by crops without many obstacles on the horizon. Then it was easier for him to see the comet. h, and he has a small telescope, as he has been fond of astronomy since he was a little boy.

9 Likes

(Apologies in advance)

video clam GIF

7 Likes

Actual street name.

Planned neighborhood and all the names are glacier or volcano adjacent. Much more inventive than most places with themed street names

15 Likes

In my neighborhood they bulldozed all the native prarie wildflowers, then named the streets after them.

14 Likes

:pensive: I scatter native wildflower seeds every year bc they did that alot of places here

15 Likes

keeping up the good work of Ladybird Johnson. good on ya!

9 Likes

Wild? Absolutely livid.

1 Like

The local birbs are my co-conspirators. Usually a year on, I’ll find species blocks away from where I originally seeded. The birds drop some, I guess. Pretty to look at, food for bees, food for the birbs. Totally worth the effort and expense. Someday I’ll get the native milkweeds to grow

9 Likes

I tried to see the comet Leonard tonight. Empty horizon view, Jupiter and Saturn visualized… Then a lot of clouds came over…

13 Likes

season 13 GIF

10 Likes

I have an alibi! I was 10000 km away!

(Seriously, whenever I try to watch anything out of the ordinary in the sky - bam, clouds. Comets, meteor showers, planets lining up, eclipses, you name it. The 1999 total solar eclipse was particulary frustrating, having went out of my way in every sense of the word to get myself in an ideal position to watch and upgrading my photographic equipment. In the end my experience of the eclipse was sitting in my car all through it because there was a perfectly synchronized rainstorm passing through. It rained, it got dark, it kept on raining, it got light again, the rain stopped, and then everything was fogged in.)

9 Likes

17 Likes

My luck. Two “pés-frios” stargazing at same place would be too much for the climate.

I finally managed to see a comet. Well, what a disappointment. The Leonard Comet was small, dim and blurry. Taking a picture of it was far beyond my poor skills. I took the opportunity to take some photos of Jupiter and two of its moons. I have to study how to take good pictures of the sky.

12 Likes

The only one of them that I managed to see was Hale-Bopp. All of the others have been duds. I’m close enough to the big city that light pollution is an issue, though.

7 Likes

I managed to luck out with the 2017 eclipse, but it was close. It was a steaming hot summer day with storms threatening, and there was no cell reception at my first location. I felt like it was the wrong place, though, and moved about 80 miles/130 km further by road (but 50 mi/80 km by air due to the Ohio River) with perfect timing. When totality came, I could see thunderheads off in the direction where I came from, but the sky was clear overhead. I didn’t have suitable cameras on hand, though.

8 Likes