If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

There are all sorts of old cars being kept on the roads by enthusiasts with a bit of skill, love, and time.

Like this one, for example.

6 Likes

The one I had back in the day did not have that problem, fortunately…

But that does remind me of the car in Wristcutters: A love Story, where if you dropped anything, it fell down the rusted out hole on the passenger’s side, which actually was a black hole or something.

9 Likes

I had a car once with this very same problem. My wife joked saying It looked like Fred Flintstone’s car, as we could use our feet to move the vehicle.

the flintstones dino GIF

13 Likes

Took some nighttime photos at Lake Mead. Samsung galaxy S21 with 6-second exposure. Illumination from tonight’s moon

Looking southeast. Jupiter and Saturn are visible.

My brother looking at the pelaides

25 Likes

Interesting contrail yesterday.

17 Likes

I got a Galaxy S21 this year and I don’t usually notice these things but the camera is undeniably noice on this model (plus I love the S-pen compatibility, no more being locked to the dying, overpriced Note line!)

21 Likes

Really nice! That second shot (the lake and reflections) is particularly beautiful. I’d love to steal it as a desktop background, but stretching it to fit a dual-monitor setup would be a crime. :cry:

4 Likes

Meanwhile in Austria:

16 Likes
2 Likes

Snowman near Las Vegas

21 Likes

I would have expected a snow lizard out there.

9 Likes

Wasn’t enough snow for me to be that creative!

10 Likes

https://www.concursofioextremadura.es/Default/Index?culture=en-GB

2 Likes

16 Likes

18 Likes

I’ve sometimes heard an owl in the wee hours of the morning (a great horned owl, based on the recordings I checked), but I haven’t ever seen one in daylight. Red-tailed hawks and Cooper’s hawks are pretty common in my area during the day.

The hawks are a small bit of environmental good news, since they were a rarity in the 1970s. Banning DDT is probably what saved them.

8 Likes

My first car had the optional Flintstone drive system until I pop-riveted some sheet aluminum over the holes. That worked well enough to still be in place by the time the car was ready for the junkyard. 1970s Corollas weren’t known for their rustproofing.

8 Likes

Yeah. We have bald eagles around here, always a treat to see, especially knowing that in the ‘70s they seemed doomed.
There’s a nesting pair on a little island in the river down the hill, which, before my time the river also used to run different colors depending on the day of the week (the textile mill, you know :roll_eyes:) and now people can boat and fish there.

9 Likes

The sunrise was stunning. Unfortunately I was driving until all the pink was gone. I took a photo as soon as I stopped and it’s still pretty

20 Likes

Spotted on a recent outing. This prompts the same question I had 34 years ago, upon discovering a “Hulk Hogan” mirror-hanging air freshener at an auto parts store:
“What the hell does that even smell like?”

7 Likes