If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Is that a star map on the building on the right?

5 Likes

It’s actually an enormous lo-res video screen that runs the length of the building, and the text/dots you see were travelling across the screen rapidly from right to left (or front-to-back). It’s so fast that IRL it’s just a smear of abstract text racing across the screen; think more Matrix than a star map.

This photo I found online is taken from the other end and is a better representation of what I saw, but imagine it all scrolling right-to-left.

7 Likes

Touchscreen elevator buttons? I, buh…were physical buttons working too well? Or is this one of those buildings that likes their UI flexible in case they want to rearrange the floor order…

15 Likes

What happened to the seven floors between L and 9? Were they moved to an alternate dimension?

9 Likes

You can find those through Back>Menu>Configuration>Interface>Configuration>Screen>Layouts>Templates>Screen Layouts>Button Assignments>Reassign>Floor Numbers

15 Likes

If it’s got a card reader, it might restrict access to certain floors to people who’re allowed to be there.

I don’t know if a touchscreen is fractionally cheaper per unit than buttons.

7 Likes

How do blind people use this?

Also what happens when somebody hacks this?

9 Likes

This appears to be an express elevator between the top 11 floors and the lobby. You get to the rest of the elevators on a different elevator.

9 Likes

The building I worked in got a similar interface a couple of years back.
The reason given was lift optimization. You select a floor and it tells you the lift to get in, this supposedly saved energy and wear and tear on the lift mechanism.
You couldn’t select the floor inside the lift so It was frustrating if you selected the wrong floor!

7 Likes

I selected the floor outside very absentmindedly as I’m more or less used to doing as my office building has split upper/lowerfloor elevator banks, where you at least have to know what floor you’re going to in order to pick the right elevator bank. I just assumed that’s what I was doing. But when I got inside I panicked a little when I couldn’t find the buttons. It was the exact same physical elevators it had always been, but just without buttons. It was a real acid-flashback moment of “wait, am I crazy, or did this elevator used to have buttons on the inside? Do ANY elevators have buttons? can I trust my own memories? How does it know where I’m going? Is this some weird hidden camera show?” A guy got off on the same floor as me so I just assumed he’d figured out where the buttons were.

It was only on my way back down after waiting 45 minutes to get a flu shot, that it occurred to me what the new system was and how I’d gotten there.

9 Likes

I was wonder what Blind handicapped/wheelchair mobile do in a case of Fire, not using the stairs unless carried if possible.

Blind people use stairs all the time.

i meant if blind and in a wheelchair for mobility.

23 Likes

Wipe clean only?

9 Likes

It’s where Lindsay Graham buys dresses before visiting the Oval Office.

4 Likes

Hidden graffiti found while looking for a geocache.

Just look at it.

And the view next another in the same park.

12 Likes

That smirk is everything.

11 Likes

We need to talk…

14 Likes

A tale of disappointment, expressed in three pictures.

I hazz a sad.

20 Likes