If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Hehe heh heh

5 Likes

When I was at UT Austin, they (evidently all the grackles in the city) would converge at this one intersection every evening. It was fairly impossuble, living in the dorms, to not pass through there when going out on foot. I developed a fear of walking past the grackles which amused, then annoyed, my friend (who told me about The Birds). I just didn’t know what I’d do if I got bombed with grackle shit. And I was right, when I finally got bombed I didn’t know what I’d do - so I went to my room, washed off, and went back on my way, less fearful of grackles.

If I don’t like them (much) these days, it’s because on the occasion when I see them at home (in MD), they mob the bird feeder and empty it out very quickly. I’d also forgotten, until last night, that a plague of grackles smells like someone skinning fishes.

9 Likes

I used to work in the building next to what used to be Siemens, and had a view of so many grackles from my window seat. Before the highway construction, there used to be a hawk that hunted that vacant triangle patch of land next to the highway and bridge across the street to the east.

10 Likes

Not sure about Grackles in Austin, but the ones @knoxblox and I see are the somewhat more elegant Mexican Grackle.

I like their weird, metallic call. One tried to move in close to our house, but the mockingbird was relentless in quite literally mocking him until he left.

10 Likes

13 Likes

Spotted in the wild.

18 Likes

Toby McGuire did seem a little wooden in Spider-Man 3.

9 Likes

Waaaaait a minute, that’s not wild!

4 Likes

Protective dome over a fountain. Building behind the dome is my favorite library Tampereen kaupungin pääkirjasto Metso (Tampere City Library Western Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) AKA, the wood grouse, heather cock or capercaillie) https://www.libraries.fi/buildings/metso?language_content_entity=en

Metso from above:

20 Likes

I see the Christmas market is in full swing in the background. This is also close to one of my favorite breweries, Plevna. I call their Siperia stout “truth serum”.

6 Likes

Can’t pass up a chance to link this:

7 Likes

Desperately need a better camera…and time to find a better vantage point than our house, but the colours were amazing this evening, especially with snow so far down.

17 Likes

Why is your mountain on fire?

4 Likes
6 Likes

From the Portland of Toronto, home of future Skylabs.

Last street in Toronto with rail line in centre of street with last standing Train buffer. Looking east from Bouchette st.

Looking west end of street. People live in those campers but not for long when Google begins razing the area for condo development.

Eta: had to use vertical to get all of train buffer in the frame as a tree is right behind me.

13 Likes

Don’t worry, with Google in charge you’ll soon be seeing more campers than ever.

9 Likes

From Helsinki, Finland today. Statue of Mahatma Gandhi wearing a hiippa (phrygian cap) traditional tonttu (nisse) cap.

16 Likes

Snow on the Hoodoos

9 Likes

Hoodoos?

(cued to 1:39)

(sorry)
6 Likes

Nah, do do the voodoo that you do so well.

6 Likes