Ignore feature bug reports

If someone has ignored you (at least I think that’s what’s happening) you can’t un-like a comment. Maybe the ignoring happened after the like but before the unlike?

Likes can’t be removed after a set number of minutes - not specific to ignore.

9 Likes

Can you clarify when you are seeing this? Is it multiple sequential posts arriving in real time at the bottom of the topic, while you are in the topic? Are you composing a reply when this happens or just idling in the topic?

2 Likes

Not very often. From the time I post that, I’ve only had it happen again once (yesterday). In this case, it was the very last reply in the thread at the time, and it was just fully there. It went away when I refreshed. I had just finished scrolling down to the bottom on the page…

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Maybe it was a timing issue and you scrolled down just as the reply arrived? :thinking:

Was it a rapid reply that coincided with the scroll-down, e.g. posted in the last few seconds?

3 Likes

Could be the case… I don’t remember the exact amount of time it was posted, but I don’t think it was that long? If I see it again, I’ll endeavor to check on that.

If it starts happening more often, I will certainly let you know.

4 Likes

Quick update: The Discourse team have pushed a fix live that should resolve live posts that come in being properly ignored - turns out there was an issue preventing this from working at all in some cases.

Thanks to @Mindysan33, @Melizmatic , and others who sent in information on this issue. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nobody:
Not One Person:

That Ignored Guy:
Hela-and-Hogun-Thor-Ragnarok-2017-thor-ragnarok-42772757-540-230

6 Likes

Yeah sorry this was a major screwup on our part. Basically live loading of ignored posts never worked :woman_facepalming:

Beatings will be delivered to the appropriate team member in a manner commensurate with the infraction.

3 Likes

Works fine. Including this thread, which is kind of meta.

1 Like

In the interests of cough full disclosure, we had some truly BIZARRE bugs :bug: around Ignore due to the user interface item controlling it (by this I mean the actual ignore user input area in the user prefs) accidentally triggering a code path that made it a global page element – which in turn made it incorrectly and unexpectedly submit over and over on unrelated page activities.

This could have occasionally resulted in magical un-ignoring of users in our testing. Sorry, there have been a lot of really annoying bugs in Ignore, all our fault. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Fix was deployed yesterday for the record.

4 Likes

Got a problem with implementing ignore timer. Every time I select the user I want to ignore, go to the dropdown menu to choose how long to ignore them, select one (usually four months), click ok or implement or whatever it says… and a red strap saying ‘select timeframe’ appears.

I use Firefox on my ancient Samsung galaxy 5. I’m frustrated because I know I can get the timer function to work - had it enacted and it seemed fine - but the last post in a thread yesterday should have been ignored and wasn’t (I think it was the issue discussed above) so I was checking I had everything right. Maybe I did it from my home computer last time?

1 Like

Can you try on the official Android browser, Chrome (latest version), and see if it also happens there? Firefox is kind of sketchy on Android.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Another bug reported here

@Melizmatic which part is weirding out? Seeing ignored replies as they “Rez in” in real time at the bottom of the topic as people reply, or seeing ignored replies on a topic initial load after clicking on it and scrolling down?

Apologies for this, ignore has not been our best work, based on the number of mistakes we made implementing it.

2 Likes

Join as a new user, get trust level 2, ignore another user, then enter a topic, post is correctly hidden:

With the same user ignored, while idling at the bottom of a topic, have the ignored user reply, incoming new reply to topic is properly hidden (that reply did not appear in the topic, as a regular new reply to the topic would):

With the same user ignored, read a reply where the ignored user has been quoted:

Refreshing the page and leaving / re-entering the topic looks the same, except the count goes to 2 hidden replies as you’d expect.

Anyone seeing issues with ignore? Or am I missing a case here? That’s what I usually do to test ignore, using three accounts.

1 Like

What is the utility of the “Duration” slot?

If there are 3 people whom I consistently ignore-- do I really have to keep a list and renew that list every 4 months (since that is the longest time in the Duration slot)?

If I have to go the trouble to ignore someone (or someone has to go to the trouble to ignore me), shouldn’t they be able to ignore them-- and not have to keep ignoring them, every 4 months?

Can’t you just include a “permanent” choice in the duration slot? Even ignored people still have the “Ignored Content” notice replacing their replies-- if I want to see what they said, I can always click on it.

2 Likes

Many of us have been begging for this since the time limit was introduced. Our concerns have been duly noted, and dismissed. I fear you may just be screaming into the void, my friend.

3 Likes

Well it’s amazing how fast 4 months go by…

On the other hand, of the 5 users I’ve used the ignore feature on so far, 3 had been asked to leave BB before I had to renew.
So all in all, the maintenance is somewhat negligible.

3 Likes