"I'll keep doing that until I run out of batteries" Tennessee sheriff's deputies torture teenager with stun gun

He was on suicide watch, that’s why he was strapped down.

2 Likes

This is why “drug” crimes should be treated as a mental health issue. If this guy was as hostile and crazy as the torturers said, and they were going to take him to a mental hospital, it seems like that should have been his first stop. I live around a bunch of hospitals here in Cincinnati and for a while the police where shooting anyone who was acting crazy. Since there are few mental hospitals and the jails and prisons have become the default mental institutions, there has to be extensive training for the police to deal with mentally disabled as well as deaf and even people that look crazy but have something like cerebral palsy. These people cannot understand verbal commands and are in serious trouble if confronted with orders from a police officer. This sheriff’s office employees look like this was just business as usual in how they deal with a lot of people. Very dangerous. Treatment like this from law enforcement creates a ticking time bomb that may result in a deadly ambush somewhere down the line. What idiots.

1 Like

This is a really good point. We read all time about people who are put in jail for months or even years just awaiting trial. If evidence like this exists, it seems reasonable within the system to arrest these guys, charge them and THEN begin the investigation.

8 Likes

This is why I am not a judge. I’d sentence them to being tazed in the taint repeatedly.

2 Likes

Imprisoned, for at least as long as would have been the case if some random gang members had abducted a kid and tortured him. Plus another few years for abuse of authority.

11 Likes

No he wasn’t. Read the article.

Yet another example of the dangers in police culture turning from Mayberry RFD-style friendly, caring public service, to macho bullshit COD/GTA-style cartoonish violence in pursuit of lulz. Which makes it hard for me not to think this video is now the rule, not the exception.

1 Like

“administrative leave”
Administrative leave. Jesus. Unless that’s a euphemism for “jail,” this isn’t being treated correctly.

This is more in the “sadistic psychopath” territory, I’d say.

True, but they can put them in jail because there’s abundant evidence they committed serious crimes.

Sadly, this rarely happens. You’d think it would make sense to get rid of them, but no. Even worse, even if they do get rid of them, they just get another job in another police force, because apparently police departments don’t care about hiring someone who is clearly a massive liability. I guess the lawsuit settlements don’t come out of police budgets.

Sadly we can be fairly certain it will let us down here, based on past experience.

Yeah, they need to get sentenced like anyone else would be for such an egregious crime, plus separate charges for abusing their authority. Police are given a disturbing amount of authority to do what they want and there needs to be serious consequences for any abuse of that.

4 Likes

Make it two. I’m not watching it either, partly because of the laugh comment. Thanks.

3 Likes

Um. Thanks for the suggestion. I did read about it which is where I got the information for my comment.

‘…he “began suffering a mental health episode and was banging his own head against the door” of his cell, according to the lawsuit. Deputies then put Norris in a restraint chair for his own safety and unsuccessfully attempted to stabilize him. Norris was then placed on suicide watch.’

Then two hours later they start torturing him.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I think the question here is because of just how many can manage to investigate for a real long time, usually long enough for the officer to move on, and since criminal charges were never on the table and that’s a lot of paperwork to do for someone who doesn’t even work here anymore…

So, can any of them manage to summarily fire an officer WITH a timely investigation?

At what time is an officer stripped of his right to bear arms (the way other civilians who get accused, often are?)

Non-gun officer really needs to be a kind of officer here. Ones not allowed to carry arms. Not everyone is cut out to be armed and given authority, and the assumption that passing some tests and a few weeks at the academy can figure out if you’re one of those or not… thats a dangerous assumption.

Plenty of law enforcement roles do not require firearms or contact with the community.

3 Likes

Welcome new Community Member. Read the terms of service.

4 Likes

Yes. Thank you and I’m sorry for the glib question.

1 Like

Why are people saying this is an irrelevant question? I want to know what minor infraction made these cops go over the top like this.

2 Likes

Trump will pardon them? Nah, judging by what’s been reported today he’d give them the medal of valor.

2 Likes

…any inappropriate behaviour that may have violated an individual’s rights will not be tolerated.

When they use the passive voice, you know they don’t really mean it.

3 Likes

it was when they forgot their role as well as forgetting his presumed innocence, and it wasn’t a minor infraction - as it never is when the executive takes on the role of the other two branches and decides what laws are and when they’re broken - which isn’t their job.

Arresting suspects and delivering them to the judicial branch is their job.

4 Likes

it’s right there on camera. Don’t you do this in a dark supply closet somewhere?

And in the middle of a hall, in front of other prisoners!

1 Like

Attempted murder charges for all of them. Disgusting abuse of power.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your input. I have felt the same as you for a very long time

1 Like