Illinois police say legalizing weed will result in euthanization of drug-sniffing dogs

Agreed. Training, or retraining, dogs is in no way “abuse.” It’s a matter of repetition and reinforcement and a ton of patience, but it can be done, and done without harm. And, as others have said, the dogs can always be farmed out to other jurisdictions, or adopted into loving homes, as other “retired” police dogs are. That this… this… gentleman chooses to frame the matter in terms of emotional extortion and brutality speaks poorly of his character and his humanity, if he has any at all, which I doubt. I hope his constituents see through his nonsense and choose to assign him new employment more befitting his sensibilities… maybe he’d be a better fit as a garbage collector.

Sorry, tl;dr.
dog%20dont%20like%20dogs

19 Likes

Such optimism.

11 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. At least these cops respect the classics.

3 Likes

Of course this would be their default reaction. There has got to be some kind of animal welfare program that can take these dogs in and rehabilitate them for someone who would love them.

3 Likes

I’d adopt on and call him ‘Officer Sniffy’.

Officer%20Sniffy

10 Likes

this a-hat’s argument basically boils down to:

“f*ck the humans. if you don’t let us keep destroying their lives we’ll kill the dogs. you wouldn’t want that now would you?”

oh police, you funny like that.

18 Likes

is that their ONLY SOLUTION? to shoot something?

that guy looked vaguely threatening. bang.
he stole some mints. bang.
old lady jaywalking. bang.
kid with a squirt gun. bang.
we have dogs we can’t use anymore. bang.
can’t open that jar of pickles. bang.
an officer killed three people in cold blood. paid administrative leave.

…oh they do have another solution. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

21 Likes

Legal or not, weed will continue to be a pretext for cops to give a hassle, so this whole “but the dogs” thing is an utter load of b.s.

4 Likes

Foster care.

For every SPCA adoption outlet, there are dozens of private citizens who support them in kind by fostering animals at no cost to the SPCA.

Usually, fosters are puppies or kittens too young to be placed for adoption, but geriatric or convalescing animals are also fostered.

The drug-sniffing dogs in question would easily be absorbed by the foster network until quality permanent homes could be found for them.

6 Likes

If any state placed an ad saying, we want to legalize weed but we’d need to find homes for 2000 dogs. they would all be adopted to good homes with lots and lots of snack foods that same day guaranteed.

18 Likes

Yes, the drug sniffing dogs which:

1. You have to wait for on a roadside while one is summoned to your location
  2. Are conducted around your car twice and find nothing, then
  3. Inexplicably indicate on your rear quarter panel, and then
  4. Go chill in the back of the K9 unit while your vehicle is ransacked to discover exactly nothing except that you have a “poor attitude toward law enforcement”

Those dogs?

10 Likes

Not new that Marijuana smoking leads to dog deaths!
See what the stoned editorial staff did with this cover.

1 Like

Four-legged probable cause creators?

True, but that’s on the handlers, not the critters.

8 Likes

I won’t argue that situation with you. But-- why blame the dogs? They are doing what they’re trained to do, and they didn’t choose their job. If their handlers are using them to abuse their authority in harassing innocent motorists, that’s all the more reason to take the dogs away and give them to owners who will treat them right. Or the animals could be retrained to give back to the community as service animals. It’s the people who are the problem here.

9 Likes

Lots of marijuana users would love to have a dog that can find them weed!

23 Likes

I think you and @davide405 are probably both correct. I was just trying as hard as I could to believe what the police are saying. I didn’t get very far.

3 Likes

Now I see you had the same thought. I posted an hour too late.

3 Likes

“[D]rug dogs are accurate less than half the time.”

8 Likes

So, this sheriff is Warren Buffet’s son?!!

Couldn’t he just buy them a doggo park where they could sniff their way into their golden days? I’m sure the stoners would love to visit

3 Likes

Aren’t they already being housed by the state? I mean, sure, they have jobs at the moment, but if they can no longer do their jobs are they immediately reclassified as a liability and shoved into the nearest furnace? I’m pretty sure the state could house them long enough to re-home them.

If they wanted to… unless, perhaps, the lucrative drug busts have stopped, and without all of that seized drug money and resalable property rolling in, the police operating budget goes spiraling down the toilet.

As for the spurious argument on display, which of the following is the correct answer to, “Because you want your reefer, you are going to make us kill our dogs!”

A: “Oh no! Don’t do that horrible thing we are making you have to do! Please, forget we asked.”

B: “Are you fucking high already?! Or are you insane?! It must be one or the other, and we are not at all happy that you have a gun and a badge at this moment.”

4 Likes