Illinois police say legalizing weed will result in euthanization of drug-sniffing dogs

Hmmm. I wonder if there’s something that might help Fido chill out?

(Posted with a big, fat /S)

11 Likes

About 10 years ago here someone here led police on a chase that ended with a k-9 charging and latching on to the suspect’s leg, that person then jumped off a tall bridge they were on, and while that person remarkably survived, the dog was killed. A letter-to-the-editor proposed, seriously, that the person should receive a punishment in line with murdering a police officer, IOW the death penalty. SMH.

And in another case where a cop killed his k-9 by leaving him in his car, whoa, now everyone feels bad for him and wouldn’t dream of punishing him same as if a non-cop did that…

12 Likes

This is happening in my home county…

FUN FACT: Howard Buffet --> WARREN BUFFET’S SON

He’s a local “farmer” that decided he likes to play dress-up as the interim Macon County Sheriff :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

And we didn’t even need a sniffer dog to detect it!

6 Likes

I suspect K9 unit cops frequently bond with their four-legged partners. Even the gang-bangers in blue aren’t immune to the loyal friendship of dogs. But as an institution I agree, US police don’t give a shit about anything but looting the public trust and covering their own asses, and non-K9 units clearly enjoy murdering citizens’ pets.

9 Likes

Yep, that’s him. Got the job after the dysfunctional former mayor resigned and no one else wanted the job. Also has donated a ton of money to the department so his influence is strong. Ah, Illinois.

3 Likes

“My dog sniffs drugs, but only recreationally.”

ETA: Why is it socially acceptable for people to buy recreational drugs for their cats but not for other animals? We don’t have dognip or bird booze or hamster reefer or monkey smack.

19 Likes

Probably because Catnip is like weed. It’s way less amazing than advertised.

5 Likes

Speak for yourself. I have a drawer full of monkey smack.

13 Likes

I believe they’re not trained to go bonkers, but to simply sit down, or some other calm, passive indication.

I would assume these are very very good dogs who were able to make it through extensive training, and good behavior qualifications, similar to other highly trained animals such a seeing eye dogs. Is there even overlap between the drug smelling ones and the enforcing & attacking ones?

6 Likes

They never cared about that problem BEFORE :confused:

7 Likes

Every time you legalize marijuana, god kills a puppy.

8 Likes

Yeah, but Friskies Temptations really are Kitty-crack.

They are almost exactly as advertised (some hyperbole over feline capabilities, but not in the addiction).

7 Likes

Do they also advocate trying to bring bombs on planes? We don’t want the bomb-sniffing dogs euthanized either, right?

2 Likes

My understanding is that, while dogs can indeed smell multiple things, the problem is that you can’t readily convince them to lose interest in a scent you trained them on; and that they ‘indicate’ in basically the same way in response to all trained scents.

So you end up with a potentially gigantic pile of “dog that indicates in presence of widely popular and now legal substance constitutes really lousy excuse for search, even by historical siccing the dogs on the 4th amendment standards” problems.

Not like this will necessarily stop them when dealing with the easily railroaded; and some idiot judge will probably devise the “exigent canine test” which will end up being a fancy way of determining that a compelling state interest in sticking our heads in the sand and hammering out some plea bargains exists; but in the hands of a remotely competent defense given an even vaguely fair hearing, “so, do your dogs respond to pot smoke? In that case what presumption of illegal activity can you draw from the fact that they might possibly have actually been responding to something illegal? Why not just train them to respond to coffee breath or gasoline fumes?” would probably lead to some evidence getting binned.

On the plus side, dogs apparently do a pretty good job sniffing out forbidden agricultural items at the border; so perhaps the unemployed drug dogs could be reassigned to sniff out the fruit of the poisonous tree. That’s certainly a niche that could keep them busy.

3 Likes

Perhaps Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner could contact other states that legalized weed and inquire how they humanely euthanized all their PD and Sheriff K-9 units. /s

2 Likes

dogs trained to ferret out the deadly drug?

Ideal stoners companion, think of the fun the dog person and stoner would have, it’s mind boggling.

3 Likes

Better euthanize the dogs now – before this happens:

4 Likes

Look, since marijuana has never been legalized anywhere, we just don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s best to be cautious.
Hold on. What? Twenty-nine states, you say?

10 Likes

What about euthanization of the police and keeping the dogs instead? Safer for the public, less costly, probably same level of intelligence and instant boost in public opinion.

4 Likes