I'm a big fan of this inexpensive little fan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/07/im-a-big-fan-of-this-inexpen.html

3 Likes

…and I’m a fan of the fan of the fan.

1 Like

Get it! Get it! It’s a PUN!!! See, it’s a fan, but he’s a fan… of the fan! Get it!

4 Likes

The fun thing about those type of fans is if you weight a balloon just right you can make it hoover in the vortex and move it around the room.

5 Likes

It could be good when camping on those hot humid still nights when any airflow is a blessing.

1 Like

For a little more money ($19.99) you can get one that’s USB rechargable (comes with a 2200mAh lithium battery) and clips to things. I got one for riding stationary bike - I need the wind!

2 Likes

1 Like

So he gets 10 hours from it on batteries - as if that is a function of the fan. Dude if you use crap batteries you’l get less…or more. No mention on the various battery performance or whether Fan B will run shorter/longer on the same battery. Plenty of Chinese USB fans around for no more than $5.

It’s a function of the batteries and the current draw of the fan. I don’t see any mention of a speed control which would allow trading breeze for battery life.

1 Like

I used to have a large rotating Emerson fan. All metal and more or less indestructible. Clean it in the spring, give it a few drops of oil and you’re good to go. I think we got it from my Grandmother. The thing was ancient. The fan, that is.

[not my actual fan]

1 Like

Was that his plan?

Zach_500749_2753007

2 Likes

That’s amusing, i literally just got a Honeywell HT-908. It’s a 15in fan and it’s great. got it to replace a 12" Honeywell fan that started to squeak beyond measure that i’ve been using nonstop for the past 3 years :stuck_out_tongue: Could’ve likely cleaned it out but the base was damaged in a past move.

S.O. Bellamy: Dear, why do we have 4 new fans?
O.P. Bellamy: Honey, well…

1 Like

There’s a Honeywell HT-800 series next to me now.
I’ve been a fan (hehe) of Honeywell’s since the 90s.

This fan sounds like a good candidate for a solar retrofit. I suspect it would be fairly easy to modify it so that rechargeable AA batteries could be charged through the USB connection from a solar cell.

I’ve done a similar mod for a couple of LED lights which use three D cells. A little rewiring, the right rechargeable D cells, and a couple of small solar cells in my south-facing bedroom window has resulted in reading light for the last 10 - 12 years.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.