Imagine you work by paying $425 for artificially mud-stained jeans

I don’t actually like wearing dirty clothes. I have this thing where I don’t want to sit on the nice furniture or whatever wearing my “grubbies”. For instance, I was wearing a pair of cut-offs this morning (yeah, when the knees blow out on my jeans, I retire them from wearing in polite company and turn them into work shorts) that have a lot of relatively faint grease stains from working on the cars. Now, these have been through the wash so I know they’re not gonna come off on the furniture, but I still have to mentally tell myself it’s okay to sit down on the couch. These $425 pants would give me the heebie-jeebies just wearing them inside.

But hey, if anybody wants a pair of authentic grease-stained pre-distressed cutoffs with a few fresh dots of white paint from this morning, let me know. Since they’re cutoffs and only half there, I think I can let 'em go for $200.

9 Likes

If people will pay for fake spray painted mud on their cars, then of course they’ll pay for fake mud on their fancy jeans. The ridiculous price isn’t a bug, it’s a feature.

3 Likes

Yeah, but then you gotta do all the work of wearing holes in them yourself.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the fun part, where I actually start out with nice jeans. I mean sure, after a few months of use and abuse, they may start to look worn, but I love new jeans.

3 Likes

Reasonably priced new jeans? You can, but only if you buy wholesale. Even then, the moral cost of cheap textile labor might not be worth it. Gandhi was right: you gotta go DIY.

4 Likes

I remember an Archie comics from the 70s where Veronica was going over her outfit and went something like…

$50 for this Peasent Top, $100 for this Peasent skirt and $75 for these Peasant boots.

It sure costs a lot to look like a peasant.

I guess it spoke to me that I remember it 30 odd years on.

13 Likes

Looks like i have about $900 laying around in my laundry basket…

12 Likes

I have a secret strategy for acquiring high end outdoor clothing. My Dad is fairly wealthy, and is particular about the fit of his clothing. So he buys super high end clothing from Filson, Belstaff and Holland & Holland, and later decides that he doesn’t like the fit.
We wear the same sizes, and I am not as particular, so he is always giving me piles of outdoor clothes and boots. Also, his definition of “worn out” is roughly the same as my definition of “barely broken in”.
This allows me to dress several tiers above my normal station in life.

2 Likes

Late Stage Capitalism.

12 Likes

wtf, I make a lot of my own stuff, why the hell not jeans? Okay, @ugh, you’re on. I’ll meet you over in the Craft category, just as soon as I’m done with my current project.

4 Likes

Are you freaking kidding me? no wonder Trump won

10 Likes

Looks like “explosive diarrhea” jeans.

3 Likes

I’m working that line into a song. Thanks, BTW!

4 Likes

Now I am grateful the paint staining my clothes doesn’t look like poops. I guess someone has always got it worse.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Hey, I remember seeing a ladies’ version at twice the price:

5 Likes

It is an interesting take on the Easter Island problem of using up all of the available resources.

“All of the loamy soil ended up on our jeans” is as good as a reason as any, I suppose.

Or maybe like the way having a lawn was established as noble because nobles could own arable tracks of land that they didn’t even need to dedicate to food production because peasants.

All of these consumers don’t even need property to waste the earth. They just need an ass.

3 Likes

I bet you think that’s funny,

but it’s not . . . it’s hot and runny.

9 Likes

15 Likes

In the guitar world, “Relicing” is also a thing. Big name manufacturers are selling new guitars that have been artificially aged.

5 Likes