Imagine you work by paying $425 for artificially mud-stained jeans

What next? Tie-actually-dead?

3 Likes

What I’m really wondering is: where the hell does one wear something like this? Surely one wouldn’t want to wear this somewhere where mud-caked clothing would be inappropriate, but you’re not going to wear $400 jeans to actually work in, either - and if you actually were working in them, you’d not need to have these, anyways. Or do they simply not look so realistically filthy in person - do they instead just register as jeans with paint on them that mock working folk? (Thus making them appropriate wear for anywhere rich assholes congregate?)

11 Likes

They look like the ones I was about to take to the charity shop, but PM me if you’d like to buy them - only £300.

2 Likes

I just got home from work:

My pants [1]:

Those are pretty good work pants [2], but I wouldn’t pay $425 for them. And I’m happy to continue providing my own mud.

Fucking aristocrats playing at being milkmaids. The peasant’s revolt is long overdue.

[1] I’ve just discovered that taking a photo of your pants while you’re wearing them is surprisingly difficult if you don’t have a mirror.

[2] Hard Yakka. Twice the price of King Gee, but substantially tougher. I still destroy roughly one pair per year, though.

25 Likes

Harry and Paul sketch…

3 Likes

I got the logical followup in fashion. I call it the P-Jeans.

29 Likes

It’s all countersignalling cascades. http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/04/22/right-is-the-new-left/

You only wear this if you’re sure you’re rich enough that no one will mistake you for being actually poor enough to have to work and get dirty

11 Likes

I think you’re right. I was looking at these jeans and wondering if, by already dressing sloppily, I was now accidentally fashionable. The answer is no.

7 Likes

Yup, this is about how my pants would look when I worked at an animal shelter.

7 Likes

Its so rich people can pretend to work.

What is funny is I see people like this all the time at fast food places who obviously got that way naturally.

1 Like

I’ve utterly previously visualised a business in London making SUVs look like they’ve actually been driven in mud. Special extras: imprint of a brace of pheasants on the tailgate: £200; bloodied rope simulating deer carcass transport: £700, etc etc

Authenticity is it, man.

4 Likes

Wait… So, I can go work in my garden for a day, cover a pair of jeans in mud (and cow manure, because organic gardening) and sell them to some citifed sucker for $400? Score!

1 Like

Fake or not, if your pants look like that you’re not sitting in my car.

6 Likes

Man, my in laws all laughed at me when I revealed my million dollar idea. Basically, it’s a short rope on two pulleys with an adjustable pressure on the pulleys. The bottom pulley is immersed in a tub of grease and grit, so you rough up your hands and get a workout as you pull on it. You’d make a killing on the DRM’d cans of crap, with all different levels of grit and compositions for specific fake jobs. To avoid those “never done and honest day’s work in your life” hands…

2 Likes

In 2010, A.P.C. introduced the Butler program, which to this day allows customers to turn in their beat-up A.P.C. jeans in exchange for half off a new pair. The brand then washes, repairs, and sells the broken in pairs for $275. (One of the more ingenious marketing moves in denim history.)

As stupid as this is, the writer is correct, it was an ingenious move. I’m sure whomever came up with that one got a sizable bonus.

1 Like

Jarvis Cocker observed something similar around then too.

8 Likes

I’ll just leave this here:

4 Likes

That’s relic-ing, right? Not re-licing?

7 Likes

Who knew Mr. Kidd’s work jeans were so valuable. He even has a pair with authentic partially worn off front pocket. I suppose that would bump the price up to $450. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

David Byrne’s “Urban Camouflage Clothing”

9 Likes