Important man's wife wins Olympic medal

I think you know what I was citing.

1 Like

Meanwhile, if you’re a man, your fiancé doesn’t get mentioned at all.

11 Likes

How to talk about female Olympians without being a regressive creep – a handy guide

9 Likes

4 Likes

Because of that gif, actually; that’s a perfect example. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If anyone was wondering just how unpopular an Olympic event, exactly, trap shooting is…

In this survey from last week it ranked 99th out of 111 events, just below individual all-around rhythmic gymnastics and above individual equestrian jumping.

This is not to support the Tribune’s treatment of the story; just a data point for anyone who bought that bit about “the efforts of the media to keep shooting sports off the front pages.”

1 Like

Is volleyball first because of the ‘shorts’?

1 Like

I have to srsly question any survey that ranks beach volleyball as less popular than fully-clothed volleyball.

That’s a good guess. Although if it’s just skin people are after, it’s weird that indoor volleyball would fare better than beach volleyball. In general team sports seem to do best, and maybe volleyball’s tinge of prurience (or just novelty?) is enough to boost it over basketball and soccer, I think.

ETA: also note that the winningest event was actually 100m dash.

People in the U.S. have short attention spans. :wink:

Short attention spans!? How dare you!? I know plenty of people from the States who wait sorry volleyball’s on

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.