Impressive robot praised by Russia state television revealed to be a man in a costume

This is the kind of publicity that’s really embarrassing for Russia. I wonder when the guy who published the photo is going to die of a mysterious illness.

1 Like

6 Likes

This brings to mind the Cold War technology propaganda battles played out between the west and the USSR. Faked space walks…can you see the bubbles in the image. Chekov in Star Trek always saying things were invented by Russians. Now that it is a distinct possibility that there will be a clash of arms in the next 50 years it is spinning up again.

1 Like

Not quite what Amazon’s Mechanical Turk had in mind.

1 Like

“you said we would look like Daft Punk?”

8 Likes

Russia’s Kalashnikov has already pushed their faux “robot” as the real deal.

Oh Russia - your only legit exports are petroleum and last-gen arms. You don’t have anything worthwhile like a Silicon Valley, Hollywood, GM / Ford, Apple / Microsoft, Space-X and on and on. Basically all you have is troll factories and kleptocrats. I pray that one day you overthrow your mob rulers and become something better.

4 Likes

With the Star Wars references in the comments, I’m getting a creepy Clone Wars vibe from this. Let’s hope the cost of real mass robot production will be much cheaper!

2 Likes

Grigory Potemkin passes Turing Test.

1 Like

The blatant political control aside, this is why nobody should ever trust Russia Today as a news source.

2 Likes

Which wore it better?

00%20AM

35%20AM
(Melania screengrab source)

(Actually, IMO that outfit is the single good thing about the Trump administration. I LOVE that outfit! The drape of the fabric is awesome, I love the color, and she wore it well. I only wish—ignoring everything else, just one human being to another—that she might have enjoyed herself more while wearing it.)

1 Like
4 Likes

I miss Liquid Television

The crossover between that show and Spike and Mike’s Animation Festivals was neat. So many of those creators went on to work in the industry and do amazing things.

Somewhere, I remember seeing a super short about the making of DogBoy, perhaps just an interview, that stated the stylized hair was as much about appearance as it was for convenience and continuity. No good link to the info, just Charles Burns, the artist who’s comics spawned the series.

If I remember correctly, aside from launching Peter Chung’s Aeon Flux it was the launch pad for Charles Henry Selick, who’s short, Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions (below) was seen by Tim Burton, leading work on Burton’s films and the growth of his career.

It’s a good kind of weird. A world I wish that had continued. Worth the watch.

Now we were talking about a Russian robot that turned out to be a boy-
Buratino, don’t lie. You know what happens to your nose. Now get out of that robot suit. (Full circle- with citations.)

3 Likes

robot_shutterstock%20(1)

1 Like

The organizers may not have, but just reading about the situations in which the “robot” was placed, they don’t make a lot of sense if everyone understood it was a person.
There’s also this whole context of Russian tech companies saying, “Look at our cool new robot” when it’s either not actually doing any of the things they’re claiming or not even a functional robot.

2 Likes
1 Like

That sounds plausible. I wonder though if his movements were restricted by the costume. Flex a joint too much, and something falls away (and so, the game).

but did they check inside the man for another robot? this could have been a turducken type of situation.

2 Likes

I, for one, salute our new Russian overlords.

DangerWillRobinson

2 Likes

One of the best robots, ever. Second only to Robby the Robot.

1 Like