Impromptu train station duet goes viral: Pianist and violinist take on Vivaldi's 'Summer'

Originally published at: Impromptu train station duet goes viral: Pianist and violinist take on Vivaldi's 'Summer' | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It looks like they’ve both practiced a lot.

8 Likes

There are way too many of these “impromptu” duets on TikTok for me to believe they aren’t all staged. It’s still some impressive playing, but I do not believe for a second that it wasn’t planned. It’s a whole genre of TikTok video.

3 Likes

“impromptu”

still lovely … but yeah … planned

I see where you’re coming from – I see a lot of visual “artists” on IG and TikTok that make me wonder if they’re the real deal or just a scam to get more followers, because “pretty girl” in a flattering pose next to a big piece of art.

Though, I can see how this could be a fortuitous meeting. He’s already there to do his promo, and maybe she was there to busk? :man_shrugging:

Unless they each owned one of the phones, and the editing shows intent, so… :thinking:

ETA: Just to clarify, I am fine with what they’re doing, because we can see them doing it. Contrary to “fakers” in social media, they’re stealing nobody’s thunder. :+1:

1 Like

“Surprise” duets with incredible musicians seems to be a bit of a theme for this guys so I’m with you there.

1 Like

Impromptu or staged, I don’t care. It was absolutely beautiful. Such lovely music, played so passionately. Hearing this really gave me a boost. Thanks for posting, @carlasinclair.

A reminder that busking can be tough, even if you’re world-famous:

10 Likes

Busking is awesome, and I fully support it. I just don’t like being manipulated into believing something occurred organically when I doubt very seriously if it did. But I get it. It’s a business, and you gotta feed the algorithm if you want your video to get the views so you can make a living. I should let it go. They didn’t make this system, they’re just trying to work it.

I’m right there with you.

It was lovely; so who gives really gives a damn if it was “spontaneous” or not?

2 Likes

It actually is plausible, but only if the pianist’s regular work involves frequently accompanying students. The orchestra reduction for a violin concerto isn’t something most pianists would know off the top of their head unless they did that kind of work all the time. But it’s such a standard piece that every serious violin student learns that it could happen.

2 Likes

I don’t care if it was planned. It was beautiful.

2 Likes

So much negative shade for a lovely moment which did no-one any harm. I say Bravo!

2 Likes

That’s by far the best pianist I’ve heard playing one of those pianos, there’s actually two down that part, where the Eurostar boards.

1 Like

She’s probably going to miss her train.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.