In California, an underground network of anti-vax doctors will write your kid a medical exemption letter to get them out of their vaccinations

AFAIK, prescription mills exist in plenty of states that don’t have Medical MJ

…which is what MJ card ‘clinics’ are: prescription mills

2 Likes

Those asshats actually believe they are doing the right thing.

Quick, someone tell’em!

I wish I would believe in an immortal soul. And hell.

2 Likes

In principle certainly. But I’m going to guess the demand for pot was probably an order of magnitude higher than that for pseudoephedrine and other meth precursors.

And it was generally socially accepted, if not lauded - unlike prescription mills. That certainly had to erode the moral standards a bit.

You can chalk it up to war on drugs, as another unintended bad consequence. But obtaining substantively good results (People can finally get their MJ!) by plowing through formal norms (But we have to invent bogus medical justifications to do it…) sows seeds of non-compliance with substantively bad outcomes (Is inventing a bogus medical justification for these anti-vax parents really all that bad now?)

1 Like

seems like you’re missing out on some other big drugs that have been real popular lately

…I actually agree with you, which is why I was reluctant to get a MJ card until last year, but the writing was on the wall by that point, so it was more of a formality by then.

2 Likes

Still sounds like a lot though… :smirk:

1 Like

I’m not. But the opioid crisis has only been a thing since… perhaps the beginning of the Great Recession? At most. California legalized medical marijuana back in 1996.

(Not to say people hadn’t been abusing opiods before. But the magnitude of the problem was much smaller.)

wow, you must be liking Jeff Sessions right about now.

Maybe “200 seconds of intense discussion with my Astrologer”

2 Likes

I am pro-legalization.

I’m sorry I blew my resulting obligation to uncritically cheer on any system that gets pot into people’s hands, no matter the method or consequences.

Fuck you, man. Abusing medical marijuana cards for recreational use was a terrible practice. It was better than people going to jail, but it’s a shitty answer to a worse problem. Why? Because now there’s this terrible precedent where we turned our backs on false prescriptions for 20 years and now it’s being abused by a bunch of anti-science dipshits to the detriment of us all. Legalization was always the right answer, and fortunately we finally got there (well, at the state level, but now Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III can’t stand that we might not be keeping Those People in line with the War on Drugs anymore, so got to trample State’s Rights to keep the racist status quo in place).

1 Like

The way I see it, anti-vax tendentiousness is a problem that takes care of itself long term.

Not really. The most at-risk victims are children who really cannot get vaccinated because of their compromised immune system. Those are the children that succumb to measles and other ~relatively banal preventable diseases. And the only mode of protection is sufficient herd immunity that precludes the spread of these infections in the population. Which is exactly what goes out of the window once you reach a great-enough concentration of anti-vax parents.

6 Likes

Well, I was making a joke, but I doubt there will ever be a sufficient concentration of these dolts for that to happen. In part because it’s illegal for that reason!

Eh…

8 Likes

By 199 minutes, I reckon.

1 Like

I don’t think your definition of ‘benefit’ is the same as theirs. (Or did you forget the /s tag?)

I understand that Sears is already under investigation by the Medical Board of California.

In articles I’ve read about this in the past, some doctors have said that they use the alternative vaccination schedule as a way to at least get children vaccinated sometime when their parents were planning to not vaccinate at all. I personally think the better solution is to refuse to be their doctor, but I have some sympathy for the doctors who are trying to find creative ways to get their idiot patients to get the health care they need.

We should also consider quarantining places like Sebastopol where vaccination rates have dropped below the herd immunity threshold, though that would make it harder for me to get from Bodega Bay to Santa Rosa.

3 Likes

MMML = Massive Medical Malpractice Liability.
California does seem to be a magnet for doctors with shaky ethical underpinnings.

Shit, I stand corrected. I never imagined my opinion of the hoi poloi could be too charitable.

2 Likes

Difference being, smoking weed is extremely unlikely to put anyone at risk, and additionally bolsters the funyion and doritos market ten fold.

3 Likes