"In-I-Nout Cheese Burger"changes its name under likely legal pressure while "In Out Chesse Burgers" opens for business

Originally published at: "In-I-Nout Cheese Burger"changes its name under likely legal pressure while "In Out Chesse Burgers" opens for business | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Reminds me of all the all-caps-named “companies” that dominate search results on Amazon selling dubious knock-off products using lossy versions of the images copied from the legit sellers.

6 Likes

Today’s equivalent to the hardcopy yellow pages (remember those days?) listings for AAAAAAAAAALandscaping just above AAAAAAAAALandscaping and so-on and so-on…

8 Likes

I bet In-I-Nout Cheese Burger’s fries were better

5 Likes

Sounds shady. I think I’ll stick to a reputable franchise like McDowell’s, thanks.

23 Likes

LOL Cats have a lot to answer for.

10 Likes

they can haz loiyrz

6 Likes

There’s still time.

702f0e5a9fb22f05288917a8e59bf9e6

10 Likes

Ok, maybe I’m just not that aware of product branding, but they just look like pictures of standard fast food fare to me. I can understand the taste can differ from one burger place to another (although I usually much prefer local places or at least regional chains), but the most I can say about “look alike” food is ‘yeah, that looks like a burger and that one’s certainly a bag of fries …’ Do the sesame seeds spell out the restaurant name in Braille, perhaps? Are they using the cheese with the microchips?

4 Likes

Not a microchip but a barium trace just in case. They’re not fighting over in/out for nothing.
Kids, just say no to fast food.

2 Likes

Not just “lookalike food,” they literally lifted a photo from Popeye’s and posted it on their own instagram feed as their own menu item.

6 Likes

https://mrcharlies.co/menu

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s quite a bit different. (They didn’t even do a color replace on the background or a basic blur on the text on the wrapper!) That’s also far easier to demonstrate than a claim that the food itself looks alike.

3 Likes

This doesn’t appear to be a high-effort scheme as far as legally defensible IP choices go.

3 Likes

I loves me some Chessie System burgers!

7 Likes

If you’re in NYC and more in the mood for fried chicken…

5 Likes

In the late 80s a burger joint called Castle West appeared on Ventura Blvd. My then roommates and I frequented it since – along with other NYC “delicacies” such as Yoo-hoos and Drake’s Cakes – it served up marvelous sliders worthy of White Castle. Like White Castle, the restaurant’s interior was all white, and with stainless steel tabletops. Clearly, CW was hoping to cash in on what seemed to be a marketing craze back then in L.A., focusing on homesick Yankees. (Stands serving steamed NYC-style hotdogs — with red onion “sauce” :drooling_face: — also appeared here and there.) Then poofCW vanished. It seemed inevitable from the get-go that WC would get wind of what was going on and drop the hammer. Still sad after all these years.

4 Likes

Instead of oil, they fry it in “clam chowda”?

2 Likes

Apropos of cheezburgers… (and not much else).

cheeseburger

(A recommended read!) :wink:

5 Likes

Chicagoites too. There was also that “red hots” Chicago style hot dog place across from (like) the Galleria. No TM infringement, though.

ETA:

1 Like