In-laws toy with woman's food allergy in horrifying letter to agony aunt

Yeah, I read this more like a statement on breeds than how to raise them.

1 Like

There’s got to be some particular breeds that might be better suited for some types of cooking/preparation, i did think about that as well but it’s not something i have much knowledge on :slight_smile:

Thought I wrote that in my first comment. In Germany - and i assume it’s reasonably similar in other countries with industrial farming - breeds are tailored for either fast meat production or egg laying. Hybrid breed which don’t excel at either are the domain of hobbyist and organic farming. But the egg producers still get used as soup chicken. In both types of farming, actually.

From what I know, I think, as you suggest, the stewing hen was just an older formerly egg layer chicken, commonly used for stews and soup. What I got was not well labelled, so still not sure whether it was a gallina vieja (just an old hen, which seems likely), or a special variety.

1 Like

I’ve had to deal with a lot of friends, all adults and mostly neuro typical, with food pickiness, and it’s made me stop entertaining because one person won’t eat peas, carrots, corn, another won’t eat onions, another won’t eat fish, another won’t eat peppers, another hates mustard, yet another won’t touch anything with tomatoes in it, and it’s like, well, fuck.

I once started with a recipe, and after I went down the list of things someone didn’t want to eat, the only two things I didn’t have to sub out were the chicken and the salt.
I guess I should be glad that nobody was vegetarian or vegan in that scenario.

None of these people have allergies to these foods, the restrictions are all mental ones.

And I haven’t even gone into the texturally adverse people, where it’s no longer as simple as just leaving out or substituting an ingredient, it’s also how it’s made too.

A couple of them even lie to servers and claim they have allergies because “then they’ll take it seriously.”

And I eat pretty much everything, so this baffles and frustrates me.
The only food I can think of having a mental block on are insects.

Hell, I’m actually the one with a food allergy, to bromelain, but as long as the pineapple and other bromelain containing products are canned or fully cooked, the protein completely denatured, they’re fine.
And the reaction thankfully isn’t anaphylaxis but itchy pustules the next day.

So, while food allergies are real and potentially deadly, and in the rare instances I’m around someone with one, I take it seriously, I can also understand how intense pickiness has desensitized people, foodservice workers especially.

2 Likes

Welp, nothing like reading a few dozen stories of people refusing to believe that allergies are real to pulverize what little faith you had left in humanity. Thanks?

4 Likes

“Gallina vecchia fa buon brodo”. “old hen makes good broth” That’s actually true, because an old hen has a tougher meat that has to be stewed more so you get a better broth.

Normally are former laying egg hens, you find easily them if you buy directly from farmers. Less common on big stores.

3 Likes

If I’m reading that list right then mammal eggs are still on the menu? Do people eat platypus eggs, is that a thing?

1 Like

I have a Indian cookbook, where everything sort of starts out the same. Brown fry onions, add ginger and garlic, and then start to add spices.

It comes to mind because the same book mentions a Hindu taboo, followed in Banaras. against eating garlic and onion.

Far as I know platypi and their close relatives, as well as marsupials still have the alpha Galactose in their muscles. Eggs might not have muscle cells yet? But cross contamination would probably be an issue. Up until about 6 months ago he was getting hives from petting his dog.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying to my silly comment with actual information. The more you know. Lone Star ticks are actually a recent topic of conversation at the moment in my neck of the woods (Southern Ontario) as they’ve recently discovered some in a few isolated areas here.

2 Likes

Best approach I guess it to excuse yourself for some air and if you have the car drive home or get an uber and just passive aggressively leave without saying a word.

Never return.

4 Likes

They “excite the passions”, you see. Many Buddhists won’t eat them for the same reason.

8 Likes

Ah, People with no problems problems. The worst. (And I refer to your guests).

Though I admit that I’d have a hard time eating something with marzipan, coconut, cilantro (fresh), and maple syrup. The latter being an aversion acquired in a single night.

One of those things is not like the other. My favorite candy has three types of ‘marzipan’ (same process, made from three different nuts) and of course is sweetened in the process, so I’m willing to try a marzipan and coconut candy sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar. But not with cilantro…and I love cilantro.

But I want to single out your last point: you developed an aversion to MAPLE SYRUP? Unless you were force fed an ungodly amount of the stuff in one sitting, I do not believe that is humanly possible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.