In leaked audio, Michael Bloomberg defends racial profiling: "throw them up against the wall"

Jesus. That’s going far beyond standard-level old-white-man racism and into mouth-dripping racism.

16 Likes

For those who are saying you still support Bloomberg, how is it that you believe a Democrat can win without support from non-whites? Do you really think Blacks and other minorities will show up in sufficient numbers to elect a Democratic Presidential candidate with explicitly racist views? Because I don’t think that people will be willing to look past this to the “lesser of two evils” argument and I don’t think minorities or even white liberals such as myself for whom explicit racism is a non-starter will fail to pay attention to this.

Michael Bloomberg should drop out of the race.

4 Likes

I’m pretty ok with him continuing to throw the establishment lane into disarray for a while.

2 Likes

We have to let him down nicely, just vote him aside in the primary. We want his money in the race attacking trump later.

5 Likes
11 Likes

“When I am King, you will be first against the wall”

2 Likes

Michael Bloomberg’s path to the presidency depends on the perception that he can attack Donald Trump most effectively. So let him audition for that role. And if he ends up clearing the path for Bernie Sanders, so much the better!

4 Likes

Ok, but just promise us you won’t quit your job to canvass the midwest for Bag of Rocks’ primary run…

9 Likes

Isn’t that what the GOP thought about their Orange Frankenstein, though?

That he could be “corrected or controlled?”

27 Likes

this is different from an ostensibly race blind policy that in practice affects minorities most. ( easy examples include voter ids, and gerrymandered districts. )

instead, he was only applying - and really in fact, breaking - the law disproportionately to target minorities.

more over, it’s my understanding they were using mainly drug laws in practice; bloomberg was using guns and murder as his talking point.

13 Likes

I’m cool if gun control laws only affect white males for 50 or so years, in order to make up for Jim Crow and under-enforcement of domestic violence. If the CDC were allowed to apply epidemiology to gun violence, it’s the white males who need to be deprived of guns to make everyone else safer.

8 Likes

Not to mention that “I can change him!” has been the mantra of people choosing to stay in unhealthy/abusive relationships since time immemorial.

20 Likes

Exactly.

Fuck that noise.

I dont require unattainable “perfection” in a candidate, but a modicum of decency/humanity is rather essential to me.

20 Likes

“Vote for me, I’m a real billionaire!”

Seems to be his pitch on that front.

6 Likes

You might be overestimating the power of “we”.

There are lots of registered Democrats out there who are on the center-left to center-right spectrum.

If the Biden-Klobuchar-Buttigieg-Bloomberg supporters coalesced behind one candidate, it would not be a small group.

3 Likes

A reminder of what happened the last time that the Dem establishment decided to anoint a racist Republican billionaire as a Dem candidate:

16 Likes

It takes a certain arrogant obliviousness for someone with such a long history with the financial sector to say the poors and darkies are “where the crime is”.

15 Likes

If you steal a pack of cigs with a knife you’re a criminal. If you steal someone’s house and life savings using a bank you’re a titan of industry.

13 Likes

Reading this thread has me convinced…that a Trump win is all but inevitable. My far left friends have already made it clear they won’t support Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg if one of them gets the nomination, and my center-right Dem friends have made it equally clear they won’t support Bernie or Warren. This thread reinforces that. We are screwed, because neither of these wings of the Democratic Party are enough to defeat Trump without the support of the other.

1 Like

21 Likes