In leaked audio, Michael Bloomberg defends racial profiling: "throw them up against the wall"

Bloomberg can be corrected. Trump can not. This is very easy to understand.

Are you under some impression that I support Bloomberg or something? I seriously cannot understand what you are trying to argue at this point.

To @Brainspore 's point…we are in no position to have to choose a piece of shit like Bloomberg whatsoever; let alone choosing between him and Nostradumbass!

How many 70-somethings do you know? Because I know quite a few and I’ve never found a single one who was really “open to change” News flash…Humans do not LIKE change. Especially older ones.

4 Likes

No one is suggesting that. I’m concerned about many more being thrown into ovens.

I support Warren. I’m starting to move toward Bernie. I am willing to sacrifice my own political positions for the lives of Americans. I have a very difficult time understanding why people don’t see the seriousness and evil of Donald John Trump. Any one of the Democratic candidates would be a hundred thousands better that him. We are in deep trouble. Get your priorities straight.

3 Likes

It is not just about Donald John Trump. It also about the Senate and House. McConnell must go down. Contribute in the battleground states for the Senate and House. Make no mistake. We are in the fight for our lives.

Contribute to Amy McGrath and throw out Mitch McConnell.

3 Likes

That poll puts him in third. He’s only 2nd in the breakout of black voters at the bottom.

Aggregators have him in 3rd to 4th.

That’s only happened in the last week in response to Biden’s remarkably poor showing in Iowa, it’s not like Bloomberg has been seeing a steady climb in the polls.

The more salient point might be, like the headline in the linked through article says, Sanders is leading the polls overall for the very first time.

But talking about who ranks where obscures something kinda important. Where ever the hell Bloomberg ranks, he’s polling at like 14%. Dominating performance there. Hell the leader in any given poll is only around 25%. If you disregard the horse race this is still split field territory.

4 Likes

I’ll vote for him if he’s the nominee, but based on his history as a CEO and as NYC’s mayor I’m under no illusions that he’ll be “corrected” once in office. He’s used to ruling by fiat, and has some very problematic views. That he’ll be better than Biff over the next four years of a decade that’s critical to the survival of liberal democracy and the planet is a very low bar to clear. I’m sure you’ll agree we can do much better when it comes to the nominee, which is what most here are arguing.

26 Likes

I will literally vote for a bag of rocks if it means getting Putin’s puppet out of the white house. Bloomberg will get under lil don trumps skin way more than anyone else and that’s a good thing. He is EVERYTHING trump isin’t, most important being an actual self made billionaire. Bloomberg can/has changed…trump NEVER will. Vote Blue no matter who and tell your friends to do the same.

4 Likes

That is a very interesting, and telling, statement. I would think most people would be more concerned with getting the guns out of the hands of the people doing the killing. Anyway, there should a rule that plutocrats who don’t think the common people should be allowed to have guns don’t get to hire armed guards for themselves. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

9 Likes

What proof do you have of this statement? We have plenty of counter proof to it. The transcript in the story is from after a federal judge told Bloomberg that his police tactics were immoral, discriminatory, illegal, and unconstitutional. And yet he still promoted them as the correct way to police not just New York city, but all of America. This is not an example of someone that is likely to be corrected.

He and Trump are the same coin, I’d rather we get rid of the coin instead of flipping it to see what evil we get next. If asked to choose between gunning down minority children in the streets and killing minority children through abuse and neglect at the border, I would be forced to pick none of the above, not the one that happens to have one or two other issues I agree with.

10 Likes

And, unfortunately, several of the things Trump IS.

22 Likes

You can’t use statistics to justify discrimination. The fact is the vast majority of your demographic they are targeting are doing NOTHING WRONG. Supporting something like this means that the tactic could someday be used against the demographic YOU are in.

This also illustrates my point I’ve made before that gun laws affect minorities the hardest. They aren’t frisking the white 20 year old males with guns. And they aren’t prosecuting them the same way when they do find them.

4 Likes

he sounds just like a republican, which he is

16 Likes

IMO, Bloomberg is Trump without the obvious crazy. If he gets the nomination and the Democrats hold one or both houses of congress, the choice will be Trump with the obvious crazy and an R after his name, or Bloomberg without the obvious crazy and a D after his name. I don’t think the choice is necessarily self evident.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget that Bloomberg beat Bill Thompson in 2009. People, including people of various colors, voted for him because their neighborhoods got safer, schools got better and their park got rebuilt. Black people, as it turns out, vote in their own interest like everyone else (except coal miners it seems). There is a lot more outrage over stop and frisk by people outside of bed stuy than in it.

Black New Yorkers broke 76-23 for Thompson over Bloomberg. Bloomberg is considerably less popular among black New Yorkers than among white ones. Street checks* are a real issue for people who are affected by them.

*Stop and frisk, “carding”, and various other names for police assuming guilt in and conducting illegal searches of random non-white people

21 Likes

Cause their neighborhoods didn’t get better. I lived in a majority non-white Brooklyn neighborhood under Bloomberg.

They didn’t even bother to plow the streets when it snowed. Trash pickup was often once a month. People released from city jails were just dropped outside the neighborhood hospital with change for the payphone. Whether they were from that neighborhood, or NYC or not. Often times they weren’t even sure where they were.

Bloomberg effected improvements where he did by highly restricting basic city services to very particular sorts of neighborhoods.

10 Likes

I cant tell you how many single issue firearms voters I know. Regardless of how insane that sounds, if Democrats could stop Betoing all over the place, we could probably end the GOP in one fell swoop. Currently the NRA & gun lobby appear to have one purpose: blind firearms owners from the horrors of the GOP and use as divisive messages towards liberals as possible. Beto sold more AR’s in one quote than the best marketing.

Bloomberg is the next marketing opportunity.

3 Likes

I agree with his positions on both gun control and reproductive choice, and would rather he stick to them. But at the same time I know how much that could cost him (and all of us) if he’s the nominee and if the DNC continues to insist on appealing to these so-called swing voters instead of writing them off and focusing on GOTV with young urban voters in those critical states.

As for the NRA, they’re gonna do what they’re gonna do regardless of who the Dem nominee is. As far as they’re concerned, all Dems are comin’ fer yer gunz. Fortunately, they’ve lost a lot of influence in the last two years as all the scandals, in-fighting, and Russian influence have come to light.

11 Likes

No, that’s Bloomberg in a nutshell: he’ll decide what you’re allowed to do. Nevermind any documents that guarantee inalienable rights.

Way too much of that going around on both sides of the aisle. The billionaire plutocrat will decide if you can be free from illegal searches, own firearms, attend a better school, consume substances, etc. etc. etc.

8 Likes