In lieu of paying taxes, Bono pens coronavirus song

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/18/in-lieu-of-paying-taxes-bono.html

3 Likes

Nah, thanks. I’m good…

13 Likes

Haven’t we suffered enough?

10 Likes

You all remember “My Sharona” and Weird Al’s “My Bologna”…
How about “My Corona”?

What?

edit: I swear that when I wrote the above I had no idea that the suggestion had already been made.

13 Likes

Personally, I would prefer “COVID-19” to the tune of “Come On Eileen”.

20 Likes

Quick, a counter-agent:

7 Likes

How many people has Bono stood up for and helped through his charity work? A hell of a lot more than you have Rob. F-off!

1 Like

He could still pay his bloody taxes and not fly his favourite hat round on aeroplanes by itself though. And at least try to make less awful music.

12 Likes

Weird Al has officially stated he will never do that.

4 Likes

Bono Justice Warrior ?

1 Like

I extracted the raw vocal of Bono singing “Tonight thank god its them instead of you”, best regards,

13 Likes

Or maybe in honor of the Saint Patrick’s day crowds this year, he could have done a version of “Where The Streets Have No Game”

6 Likes

Thanks. I had no idea. The “What?” in my original message was my attempt to indicate that I knew it was in bad taste.

9 Likes

In aggregate? None. Nada. Zip.

Pay your fucking taxes Bono. The minute there was a cap put on the personal artistic income exemption (it was made in the early 80s and the thought that any Irish artist could become super rich was fanciful) his band incorporated in Holland.

By the way, there’s a great chapter “Eichmann in Addis Ababa” in Eyal Weizman’s "the least of all possible evils: a short history of humanitarian violence on how Band Aid colluded in mass deaths in Ethiopia.
So fuck Bono. And fuck “Sir” Bob fucking “better together” Geldof…

Any bellend calling himself “Sir” is not welcome.

14 Likes

Eeeeeeasy there, big fella.

Nobody’s above criticism, especially not when they’re rich and powerful. I’m angrier at Bono for forcing an album I didn’t want onto my iPhone than I am about his accountants using a then-legal tax dodge, but we’re allowed to talk shit about him if he’s done shit. Even if he has also done good things, or we haven’t done enough.

Otherwise you’re engaging in the moral algebra of Trumpism, where the goods automatically outweigh the bads and even if they don’t, well, the people saying that are no angels themselves.

9 Likes

Furthermore, Hitler was nice to his dog.

14 Likes

Well, I’d have been nice to Hitler’s dog. Dogs are okay.

6 Likes

He has NEVER PAID ANY TAXES.

U2 Are the reason the Artist Tax exemption was stopped in Ireland.

4 Likes

They’re already playing a teaser version of this on my local radio station’s morning show…

Until he tested a cyanide capsule on it.

3 Likes