In-N-Out Burger doubles down on choosing "smiles" over health

Also, if putting a bible verse on something is an act of faith, that’s a pretty fucking low bar. Again, Jesus, angry, money-changers, etc.

angry jesus christ GIF by South Park

9 Likes

They’ve doing the quotes since the 90s when the leadership of the company family died in a plan crash. Not sure it’s fair to call it out as a dog whistle.

The smiles thing is “WTF”, COVID is real but it’s little tougher to make the dog whistle case…it feels like a retcon.

As for money changers? If profit is a sin, then isn’t Five Guys the bigger sinner for charging more for each burger and fry (and damn them to hades for their milkshake prices). \s

It’s to signal to other right wing Christians that they are “one of them”… whatever the original reason was. There is a while set of economic counter-institutions in the white Evangelical world, and those sets of institutions are seeking to become the mainstream of society.

Not really, no, given the overlap between the politicized white Evangelical movement and the anti-science/anti-vax/anti-mask sentiment on the right. It’s not a ret-con at all when they are the ones leading the charge and have been since the first lockdowns.

Again, Jesus seemed pretty fucking keen on keeping profit motives out of religious spaces. But people should cherry pick the bible to find the things that suit their political/social needs rather than actually paying any mind to the guy they’re supposedly following. He was pretty fucking clear about wealth and faith, camel, eye of the needle and all that…

Also… speaking of ret-con… it began in the 80s, not the 90s, and was an expression of their evangelical faith:

So… a dog whistle to fellow evangelicals, as @ficuswhisperer noted.

Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

10 Likes

8fd6389ad2efbad2cb22a658f7712c130198c4b4_2_375x500

6 Likes

Maybe that’s an elaborate ploy to advertise one of the next episode of dr Who.

1 Like

Well, if pedantry is the name of the game, a dog whistle is according to Wikipedia, a " In politics, a dog whistle is the use of coded or suggestive language in political messaging to garner support from a particular group without provoking opposition."

Soooooo, if the behavior is provoking opposition as it is in this forum, is it still really a dog whistle?

Yes.

7 Likes

Exactly.

Yes. Because it’s meant to be a political message to a specific group of people.

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

The modern white evangelical movement is deeply political and has been since the rise of the Moral Majority in the 70s…

8 Likes

Here in CA, the In-N-Out near me was more masked than many other business and I went sometimes because of that. That falsely led me to thinking the company cared about the health of employees and customers. Their anti-mask double down is pretty disappointing.

In CA, employees will be allowed to wear masks, but the company insists that they must be company issued “N95s” - which I all but guarantee will not be actual N95s but ill-fitting KN95 bi-fold masks, which many people generically refer to as N95s.

And even if the company does issue genuine N95s, that’s still not enough because they aren’t a one-size fits all commodity. Mask fit is very individual and different people need different N95s to get a good fit. A 3M Aura tri-fold N95 is an N95 that fits most, but not all, people. Meaning that even if In-N-Out supplied one of the best N95s in the industry, the mask still wouldn’t fit a significant number of employees.

Employees need to be able to use their own N95s as needed.

There is no human fit test panel required for NIOSH approval of N95s, just minimum filtration and breathability testing. So, in spite of all having good filtration, there are some really badly fitting N95s on the market because fit is not part of the N95 standard. N95s are not an interchangeable commodity in terms of fit.

2 Likes

“We want to see your smiles!”
[puts on clear panel mask]
“Not like that!”

Pretty sure your implication is correct. They don’t want to see employee smiles, they just want to force their workers to not wear masks to the fullest extent they are legally allowed.

Mask fit and filtration efficiency vary a lot, and only a relatively few models of N95 fit a wide range of people well.The clear panel mask market is pretty small, and many of them fit and filter poorly. The ones you linked to are “surgical” masks and not respirators - so they protect the wearer against fluid splashes, but they are not respirators like N95s are.

There is an actual N95 with a clear panel. But don’t let that fool you too much. There are no fit testing panels required for NIOSH N95 approval, so while all N95s perform well on a lab bench for filtration, they aren’t tested by NIOSH on anyone’s face to make sure they don’t massively leak around the edges. So real world performance of even genuine N95s varies dramatically since leaks around the edge of the mask make all the difference in terms of the protection you get from wearing a genuine respirator.

There are a couple of clear elastomeric respirators. Neither are currently NIOSH certified. But the Canopy has excellent lab and human fit panel results.

4 Likes

And? The company has always been run by conservative right wing evangelicals. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Like I said… :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

AFAIK, Five Guys doesn’t make piety part of its explicit branding.

5 Likes

wow! Here in vegas i havent heard virus or covid in 6 months maybe were just lucky with the 100,000+ that come here everyweek.To long time californians or the ones who have moved away, the majority of them grew up on ln-n-out when they’re only other choices were macdonalds jack in the box(yuck), wendys and booger king. The lines are long but with their very limited menu its actually faster than the one listed above but i do agree that going inside can be a little scary

A post was merged into an existing topic: “It’s hard to think of a more sweeping ruling”: U.S. government’s ability to fight disinformation online suffers legal setback

Not as such, no. I don’t mind someone wearing a Christian cross necklace or some other outward expression of faith, but I don’t want to be proselytized to when I’m there for a meal.

I liken it to religious pamphlets being left on my work desk. The “You will burn in Hell” types that I encountered in New Orleans. The eager pair knocking on my door to ask if I’ve been saved or some such rot.

If I want Bible teachings, I’d go to church. The mask issue is just one more reason for me to not patronize In-N-Out.

4 Likes

It is because it’s literally not presented in an up-front way. It’s hidden on the packaging, a little secret extra “treat” for those Xtianists in the know.

In-n-Out is a good burger/fries/shake combo for the McDonalds/BK/Wendy’s price point, mainly due to fresher and unfrozen ingredients.

I usually grab an order there when I’m in SoCal, more out of nostalgia than anything else. Lately, though, I’ve been looking forward more to my other nostalgia stop at Fatburger, which occupies a middle-ground price point before places like Five Guys. If I’m going to skip one of them on a trip, this mask policy just made my choice a lot easier.

10 Likes

I’m thinking the same thing; and, if it’s really for the purpose of remembering their dead family, why not put on the packaging: “in memory of our dear family lost in a plane crash.” Maybe because it’s a burger wrapper destined to be thrown in the trash. So disrespectful and I bet adherents to a lot of other religions would never dream of writing their sacred text on literal garbage, unless it’s just a last-ditch attempt to proselytize or dog whistle.

Gosh it’s a simple exercise in branding, like why advertisers are taking their messaging off the bird site. Or why, when they close a McDonalds location, all branding is immediately scrubbed—if they don’t raze the entire site. Imagine what’s going through my mind, picking up litter off the side of the highway, and I see this religious messaging. In-N-Out are really doing a disservice to Christianity!

5 Likes

Should print that on the front page. Or on paper cups.

3 Likes

Yeah. The fact that they’re citations and not even the actual quotes emphasizes the dog whistle quality, to me.
And, surprising no one, I looked up all the specific ones mentioned in that article you linked to, and the majority are saying basically, “if you believe in OUR god you’ll do well, and if people are getting permanently knocked down by life, it’s because they’re wicked.” So, pretty shitty choices IMHO if you’re truly looking to spread the love of Jesus to the burger eating public.
ETA, should’ve read to the end.

Gracc, I might owe you a coke.

8 Likes