More "Smiles", less "health and wellbeing" as In-N-Out orders employees to stop wearing masks

Originally published at: More "Smiles", less "health and wellbeing" as In-N-Out orders employees to stop wearing masks | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I hope some associate with not much to lose brushes up on three years of whiny “you can’t make me wear a mask!” interviews, and throws this right back in In-N-Out’s face.

3 Likes

Them: No one wants to work anymore. Wah wah wah.
Also them: Please conform to these ridiculous, safety-impeding measures for some made up reason.

23 Likes

I’m sure all people complaining about their rights who didn’t want to wear masks at work will be similarly vocal about this. Right…?

6 Likes

Well that sucks. In-N-Out used to have a reputation for treating their hourly employees well, or at least less-badly than a lot of other fast food chains.

8 Likes

Smile!

5 Likes

Without disclosing the medical diagnosis or confidential medical information, the medical note should clearly state the reason for the exemption

How does that work exactly? Would “Patient X is at high risk for Covid” be enough?

12 Likes

They better start offering these then.

3 Likes

If that was really what it’s about, then…

…the policy wouldn’t extend to their warehouses and shipping centres. This has nothing to do with customer service. :roll_eyes: Customers can’t “see the smile” on the guy driving a forklift in the drive-through freezer building in Encino.

11 Likes

As someone who deals with ‘social pragmatics’ as a cognitive expercise rather than a matter of instinctual facility I realize that introspection might not be a reliable substitute for focus-grouping; but does anyone actually look for warm, cheery, smiles in fast food fulfillment scenarios?

I can see not wanting overt misery or food-spitting hatred; but does anyone really care where in the neutral-to-mandatory-friendly zone the service lands?

9 Likes

The same kind of people that get bent out of shape because someone else is wearing a mask?

7 Likes

:pickup_truck::us:

The Cruelty Is the Point - The Atlantic

5 Likes

They didn’t say “contribute to”, they said “consider”. As in “we consider it unimportant”.

5 Likes

If my staff chooses to wear a mask for health and/or safety reasons, I’m jolly well not going to be calling their doctor to find out if they have a medical directive for doing so!

mutters dumb as a box of rocks

6 Likes

Somewhere down the road, in light of their “consideration” they hope to provide thoughts and prayers, but at this time they can only offer consideration.

3 Likes

Are you saying that In-N-Out is going full animal?

1 Like

Personally, neutral is far preferable to fake smiling. The way so many service industry companies obsess about smiling is frankly creepy.

4 Likes

I’d be tempted to print a picture of the portion of my smiling face that would be covered by the mask onto the mask so it looks like I’m not wearing a mask when I am in fact wearing a mask.

1 Like

2 Likes

Personally, I like being served by people wearing masks. It decreases the likelihood that someone was breathing all over my food. You don’t need a medical accommodation for wearing a hat or hairnet, so why not a mask? Hell, make it a company branded mask.

12 Likes