In nightmare video, ski lift riders blasted with ice cold water at North Carolina resort

Originally published at: Ski lift riders get blasted with ice cold water from broken pipe at North Carolina resort | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The placement of the lift and the hydrant made this a recipe for disaster, too. Hope the victims will be ok. There are lots of ski resort/water park hybrids now to generate income in all seasons. I hope folks who design them see this as what not to do.

22 Likes

North Carolina has a ski resort???

20 Likes

An excellent torture device they have there, value added service one might say. Do hope everyone thaws out OK.

12 Likes

If Iowa can have one, why not NC?

7 Likes

Smoky mountains

6 Likes

This guy/gal seemed to be in pretty bad shape.

15 Likes

Um… yeah… you might not be aware, but there is a whole ass mountain chain down the eastern US…

14 Likes

frozen stare GIF

11 Likes

In this case, NC stands for Not Culpable. And of course they’re going to downplay the impact to the victims; any admission of responsibility could put reaching their several hundred visitors annual quota in jeopardy.

2 Likes

Did you mean daily? Or did you mean tens of thousands?

3 Likes

I said what I meant. I just left out the qualifier “satisfied”.

3 Likes

Bronzes GIF by RockyPop
Only for French audience, sorry

2 Likes

In fact, that’s the other ski resort in NC.

8 Likes

I suspect that there are probably lots of ski resorts in NC…

I really don’t get why people think that a state that has a major mountain chain in it would not have winter sports…

9 Likes

I figure a lot of people put more weight on latitude than they do on altitude.

6 Likes

Seriously, though… are people really this ignorant of basic US geography, tho? That they are unaware of a major mountain range over here? You don’t need super high mountains to make a decent snow sports area, just big enough mountains with enough snow…

7 Likes

Appalachian Mountains: “…mountain chain down the eastern US…”
Sierra Nevada: “Hold my beer.”
Alaska Range: “No, you hold my whiskey!”
Himalaya: “All of you hold my frozen vodka!!”
Olympus Mons: “Alright, all right – everybody just calm down now…”

18 Likes

There are many ski resorts in the Midwest, as someone pointed out the one in Iowa. (The one in Galena, IL nearby is nice too!) The rides are short, as you tend to max out at around 500’ delta, versus the real mountains which usually start around 1000’ and work their way up from there.

4 Likes

Ski lifts always unnerved me and were on the list of things I never really wanted to ride. Given the idea of skiing also seemed needlessly dangerous I would have just avoided the entire thing to begin with.

4 Likes