In nightmare video, ski lift riders blasted with ice cold water at North Carolina resort

Not Funny Reaction GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

11 Likes

Sure, but maybe not everyone is into snow sports for the extreme end of things…

Come on… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Was just discussing with my dad when geography and civics were dropped in most public schools. There’s a reason why the US keeps dropping in global rankings:
Is American geographic illiteracy a security threat? • Earth.com

9 Likes

I meant no offense to the geography of the midwest (sensitive as it is), but 500’ is not generally considered a mountain. Where these midwest ski resorts are located are simply not on the list.

That isn’t to say they aren’t worth your time (they are lovely places to spend a day, and I have spent most of my skiing/boarding days at these resorts), just that the amount of endurance you need for a full run down one of the blues at (say) Provo, UT at the Sundance resort is much, much more than you would need for a run down Cascade Mountain in Baraboo, WI.

4 Likes

Yeah, that bold part (mine) is what I’m hung up on. I’m from VA. I’ve been to Wintergreen and Massanutten (called Masasa-nuthin’ regionally) in the winter. They’re further north by a couple hundred miles, in the same damn mountain chain, and conditions are usually marginal enough that they struggle to keep their doors open half the time. You would practically have to pay me to ski/ride there.

My geography is quite good, thank you. I’m on board with the disbelief that NC a ski area, much less multiple.

3 Likes

Okay… thanks for clarifying…

2 Likes

I’m always surprised that a lack of knowledge of Geography is so widespread in the USA. It’s almost like someone doesn’t want people to know about their country or its place in the world.

Some “Fun facts”!

• the US state closest to Africa is Maine
  • all of South America lies east of Michigan
  • northern Alaska is closer to Reykjavik, Iceland than to Washington DC. Southwestern Alaska is closer to Tokyo than Washington DC
  • the northernmost part of Utah is further North than the southernmost part of Canada
16 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

What? Americans like to live in ignorance?!?

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

7 Likes

Not one of the victims approaching the blast site had the thought that now might be a good time to put down the safety rail on the lift. All that newfound My Body My Choice energy.

And you can look south to Canada from Detroit. GO WINGS!!!

1 Like

Well we dont know that do we? Maybe the safety rail is all that was preventing people getting knocked off?

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me if the choice of “non-life-threatening” rather than “minor” was dictated by the need to be technically not lying; rather than by the belief that it sounds nicer.

2 Likes

Yep! We even have one in Missouri, near KC. (Perhaps @Mister44 has been there.) You don’t need a mountain, just a slope. Side tributary valleys of big rivers work great.

4 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

North Carolina has it all: sandy beaches, glittering cities, snow-capped mountains, heels made of tar, hypothermia inducing ice-water geysers …

13 Likes

Some Americans political and corporate leaders like those they control to live in ignorance?!?

FTFY

9 Likes
1 Like

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

4 Likes

Maybe substitute “Great Smokies” for the Appalachian mountains in your little list.

2 Likes

in my experiences, from teaching 6th grade social studies for five of my years teaching as well as playing trivial pursuit with my contemporaries in college, the answer is tragically and resoundingly yes.

7 Likes