In nightmare video, ski lift riders blasted with ice cold water at North Carolina resort

Christ, what an ice hole.

7 Likes

Hippies and bluegrass music, electronica, the largest private residence in the country…

2 Likes

OK, maybe overly touchy here, but Massanutten is in my backyard, quite familiar with it and the jokes that go with it. And “Massa, nuthin” is a slave “joke” and not very funny. Not something we call it locally at all.

8 Likes

“The American Business Community – It’s never our fault.”

2 Likes

Yep… a little “overly” I think.
“Mass-Of-Nothing” is how we used to pronounce it in Charlottesville.
(And the worse Buttered Rums in creation!)

Not my reference at all. “What’s the name of that mountain, boy?” "Massa, nutten the-ya wuth namin’ " is how the “joke” goes. Hilarious, right?

5 Likes

30 mins up 10 sec down.

I have a tshirt

2 Likes

This made me look up the one I remember people always made fun of in Michigan, in Brighton. TIL that what I always heard said about it, that it was a mound built up with trash on a landfill, is actually partly not true. Still pretty much a mound though.

Have not been to that one. Did not realize they had any that far south!

I have usually gone to Boyne mountain or Crystal mountain which are both north of TC.

Man, that would SSUUUCCCKKKK.

1 Like

They are all down. You can see the foot rests up in the empty ones coming down the mountain. The one person who gets the worst of it actually has the bar pushed up by the water, but it was down when they entered the blast.

2 Likes

May I ask if you thought my post had an air of classism? Because that is a thing in snow sports. I totally understand if you were on the lookout for that in a post in this thread.

The divide (based on ski lift conversations) appears to be less about the size of the hill/mountain and more about snowboarders vs. skiers. You may already be aware. I am more of a boarder myself (just have more of a nack, it’s all new to me as an adult), but it seems like growing up as a skier in the US is a signifier of privilege, near as I can tell.

The very rich (I know one such a guy, but this is also what people tell me) prefer resorts where snowboarding is banned. Or they frequent the regular resorts on the big mountains where a snowcat or a helicopter will drop them places far away from the normal folks.

1 Like

It’s the Colorado of the East Coast

6 Likes

The northernmost point of the 48 contiguous states is further south than the southernmost point of the UK.

1 Like

Fun fact: The Appalachian mountain chain is the same geological formation as the Scottish Highlands and the Lesser Atlas Mountains in western Africa, broken apart by plate tectonics. In other words, the Appalachians are older than the Atlantic Ocean.

They’re also so old that the valleys of the Appalachians are actually the peaks of the original Pangaean mountain range, due to erosion affecting the ancient peaks more acutely than the valleys. This is very clear in geologic cross-section:

(Disclaimer: IANAG)

20 Likes

This scenario is horrible. People can die or lose limbs from frostbite in those conditions. No one knew how to shut off the water flow in an emergency? No safety valves near the pipe break? No ski patrols were around to radio to HQ to do it or to get instructions? They deserve to have their collective asses handed to them in a negligence law suit.

10 Likes

Well, that’s a new read on it for me. I sincerely never understood it that way. Could be my white privilege or just the context in which I heard it used. Been a few decades so I honestly couldn’t say. In any case, I appreciate you letting me know and will avoid it henceforth.

2 Likes

Maybe a little… you’re correct about the general notion that snow sports tend to be an upper class thing, but I suspect that’s not as true as it used to be.

4 Likes

Have any of you actually read those liability wavers ski areas have? I’m not sure they could actually be sued successfully even if they exclusively hired serial killers and professional saboteurs to run the place. While you can’t sign away some rights, most ski areas are specifically exempt from hazards such as snowmaking equipment, poorly maintained trails, and ski lift accidents.

Also, who hasn’t been blasted by (admittedly lesser) snowmaking equpment while skiing? At any snow-making ski area, particularly in the North East, I expect to have my outer layers sprayed with supercritical sub-zero water. Separating yourself from the lift and knocking off the rime is part of the fun. /s

1 Like

I have seen many different videos of this event, and I wonder if anyone had tried to somehow divert the spray from the people on the lift with something readily available, say a snowboard? I just see that poor person being blasted with the frigid water for an indeterminate length of time and am aghast that there was no attempted intervention by bystanders (with the exception of encouraging them to jump.)

5 Likes