In one of his first interviews from 1981, Paul Reubens tells the origin story of Pee-wee Herman

Originally published at: In one of his first interviews from 1981, Paul Reubens tells the origin story of Pee-wee Herman | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“Wee-Wee” ???

2 Likes

What a great clip. And how easy is it for him to slip into character, no effort at all, it’s just under the surface. Thanks for the laughs, Paul!

3 Likes

He mentions his father in the clip. I just looked up Paul Rubens’ wikipedia page, and his father has his own page. He was a founding pilot of the Israeli Air Force. And Paul’s sister is a civil rights attorney, who was one of the lawyers sitting at the table in front of the Supreme Court when Obergefell was decided. She had filed a similar case in Tennessee that was included in the appeal before the Supreme Court. Some family.

8 Likes

It’s wild to see what a 90s look and affect he has here, considering it’s 1981. And I guess Pee Wee’s Playhouse is kind of a touchstone for 90s esthetics too.

2 Likes

I met him once at a party in mid-90’s. He was really nice, quiet, normal guy. Then he left and he was apparently parked in because he came back and yelled “DOES ANYBODY HERE HAVE A BLUE VOLVO?” and it was totally Pee Wee’s voice. Nobody laughed but we all thought “ohmygod that’s the best thing that ever happened.”

9 Likes

Tou could let @frauenfelder know.

Welcome to BoingBoing

Yes I made a typo. I’m leaving it though.

4 Likes

That’s crazy talk!

4 Likes

Well the typo is corrected now.

2 Likes

her practice was in Nashville when I was a teenager there. one of my friends was at Target in the toy aisle shopping for toys from the Playhouse and a woman stopped and said “that’s my brother.” he was floored

7 Likes

Yes in Nashville. She helped a lesbian couple I worked with adopt a couple of children. They told me she had a picture of Pee Wee on her desk and one day they couldn’t stand it anymore and had to ask her about it. “Oh that’s my brother Paul”

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.