TV commercial for JCPenney's Pee-wee Herman kids fashion line (1989)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/14/tv-commercial-for-jcpenneys.html

1 Like

as a 6’3" person, it is useless for me to covet these garments. I could conceivably find some if I hunted ebay for a while, and I could pay an exorbitant price for them. But none of these garments were ever designed to fit a very tall grown-up.

Yes, the two-tone pull-overs with the large Pee-Wee cartoon head woven into them on a skewed angle, it is useless for me to covet them.

6 Likes

Not at all. Hire a seamstress. They’re not terribly expensive, but they may laugh at you.

I want to know if this ad was produced by The Residents?

9 Likes

Yeah, it did have a kind of 80’s performance art vibe to the proceedings. I’m glad they put that “wow” on the end too, handy mental cue to let me start processing in the direction of “wtf did my eyes just bear witness to”

5 Likes

Bring back Soul Train!

3 Likes

It’s gotta be! I know The Residents did music for some of the episodes.

7 Likes

I wish I could get some of that '80s Pee Wee money!

2 Likes

Am I the only one that hated (err, was sober) in my late teens & never liked Pee Wee ??

I don’t really remember ever watching Pee Wee’s Playhouse on TV, but I did definitely see Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the original movie) in the the theaters, and me and my friends were definitely terribly amused by Paul Reubens’s death scene in said movie.

It actually holds up better than I would have expected:

Also, this movie stars Rutger Hauer. And Luke Perry. And did I mention Paul Reubens?
It was the 90s. Go figure.

2 Likes

I liked him in Gotham. Only there for a few eps, but worked really well.

I haven’t seen Gotham, yet, but it’s in my queue. I didn’t realize he was in it, but that does make it sound a bit more interesting.

Like I said, I wasn’t a huge Pee Wee Herman fan, but even so, he was a big enough presence at the time that we all knew who he was and that’s partly what made him so funny in that movie.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying it. But my taste is suspect when it comes to superhero stuff. [quote=“MrMonkey, post:11, topic:97025”]
I didn’t realize he was in it, but that does make it sound a bit more interesting.
[/quote]

He’s in Season Two and only for a few eps, but they really got the casting right for it. :smiley:

He’s also in the second Tim Burton Batman movie as Oswald Cobblepot’s father. Same character?

1 Like

Yep. And alongside Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald, it’s perfect.

Kids fashion line, hmmm. Didn’t he get busted as a pedophile?

no, he monkeyed around with his banana at an adult movie theater and got caught

3 Likes

Not what I read: 170 explicit pictures of kids of which he declared it was ‘art’.

1 Like

That happened a decade after his arrest in an adult movie theater in the early 90s

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.