In plant evolution terms, avocados shouldn't even exist

No matches found.”

While I definitely would prefer videos to have a point and get to the one I’m looking for quickly (in tutorial videos if nothing else), it tends to be a mark of how well-practiced the video maker is in both the skill of making videos and their skill in whatever they’re instructing on.

(I really hate it when I try to watch a tutorial and it turns out I know more about or have more experience in the task than the person struggling to make the video.)

2 Likes

There are some how to topics that really benefit from a visual guide.

Most of the time you just need a little information, and video is about the least efficient way to transmit it.

I suspect it may be the easiest to monetize…

Youtube videos are my go to for everything except programming, these days. Not that youtube couldn’t be a workable medium to show people how to program in but I’ve never yet found one that was done well enough.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I could learn to do car repair watching videos but that one’s on me. I would go so far as to say anything with involving mostly physical activity is suitable for video.

But at this point it definitely is the easiest to monetize.

I haven’t watched this video, but I assume the Wadsworth constant applies?

There was a very good vegan raw restaurant here that used avocado as a base for “key lime pie” and “milkshakes” and the like. I don’t know how, but somehow they neutralized the avocado flavor while maintaining the creamy texture.

Man, that place was good. They took great pains to shatter stereotypes of what vegan/raw food could be. I’m not sure they even had a regular salad on the menu.

4 Likes

My husband blended an avocado seed into a green smoothie. He’s still alive and pretty healthy.

I rather suspect that Barlow skimmed through Cook’s 1982 essay on tropical fruits, which talks about the avocado being full of “acids and tannins, that render the flesh bitter to human taste”, and thought he was talking about the seeds. When in fact he was talking about the unripe fruit.

A general guide is that you read “Ghosts of Evolution” for a nice narrative. Not for particular facts. When you try to pin down Barlow’s statement that “The avocado’s oily flesh is attractive to this otherwise strict carnivore”, i.e. the jaguar, and check the citations, it comes down to “something that everyone knows so no need for data”.

She accepts the fable of the giant New Zealand Gecko Hoplodactylus delcourti:

Bones of an extinct giant gecko, discovered in the 1980s, confirm the presence of a reptile large enough to have consumed the karaka fruit, whose seed is too big to be swallowed by any living animal native to the islands.

Again, it’s a nice story, but it’s bullshit. Some explorer brought back the skin of a giant gecko, and left it in a French museum, to be found a century later, but there’s simply no evidence that it came from NZ.

1 Like

I learned a great deal about avocado ecology from that great documentary Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. Arguably the highpoint of Bill Maher’s career.

3 Likes

For physical examples, you bet!

I’m talking about technical things like “how to change the drive type in windows 8”.

You want the names of programs and commands. You might need spellings and syntax. Good luck copy pasting from a freeze frame :smile: A video is significantly less useful than written words, and yet it’s so often videos cluttering up the search results.

I encountered similarly-large avocados in Cuba. I visited a hut where someone had planted a forest garden producing all sorts of staples on the surrounding slopes and near the bottom we found an avocado tree producing fruit bigger than my head. We were a bit scared when we saw the depressions in the earth made by avocado impacts!

2 Likes

If you want the best guacamole on Earth, and are in the NYC area,
run don’t walk to:

405 Amsterdam (at W 80th St)

They have mastered the guacamole formula. A perfect combination of avocado, tomato, cilantro, slight onion, slight salt, (lemon or lime-- cannot determine which). Even the texture is masterful: they don’t brutally homogenize it like some would (definitely no machine mixing). The most amazing thing about their recipe, you cannot tell what you are eating: your palette cannot definitely recognize cumin (but it must be there), nor the cilantro (it just adds a “sweetness”), nor the onion (but it were missing, you’d notice a lack). Nothing overpowers you. It all combines to one masterful effect. This is the guacamole you have been waiting your entire life for.

I have no official association with this establishment, although I probably personally pay over half their monthly rent through my patronage.

6 Likes

Ellen Schippers?

Why is that guy wearing a pillow?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.