In Portlandia, police confiscated chickpeas and White Claw

“We have evidence they were going to spray us with this chemical intoxicant.”

(Police chief holds up bottle of patchouli oil.)

7 Likes

Speaking of the low sodium version, have you tried garbanzo bean juice meringue? Do NOT use brands with added salt. Learned that the hard way.

3 Likes

like, you saw that can of chickpeas thrown?

there’s absolutely nothing in the ppb’s ( did i get that right? ) picture that proves this stuff wasn’t garbage from a broken trash bag, or tipped trash can. nothing that shows it was thrown. nothing to show that it was thrown first.

it probably sucks to be a riot cop and have unknown items falling on you. but why are you out there in the first place?

if you’re trying to stop property damage, take off the gear, be in the crowd, be mobile and watchful. focus on the bad apples ( bad chickpeas? ) causing the damage.

i mean, if people really think the police shouldn’t be defunded or disbanded because of a few bad apples, why the hell are protests being disbanded for the same.

11 Likes

Dang! Last night my wife was making a roll cake and trying to find a substitute for heavy cream. She settled on vegetable oil as a stabilizer instead.

Starchy bean juice would have been a much better choice. I had a can right there. (Was planning to make a chickpea curry with them).

2 Likes

They were afraid of getting whipped and creamed?

2 Likes

Let’s be clear here: posts suggesting protestors are at fault for police brutality are going to result in your posts, and possibly account, being eaten.

No doubt that there are folks intentionally antagonizing police, and of that group, some are almost certainly doing it just to stir up shit. That doesn’t justify the sorts of violence we have seen in response, and Boing Boing has zero interest in pushing a “police are the real victims” narrative.

Thanks.

26 Likes

A bad apple?

That one must have been self inflicted.

1 Like

I don’t mind getting low sodium anything. I have plenty of kosher salt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Down thread somewhere, someone correctly counts 7 items to assure the audience and confirm they could, indeed, make 7 bongs out of these items.

Science marches on.

11 Likes

The reporters mentioned that white claw and cans of chickpeas were items the demonstrators were using, so I believe it when the police say the items in their photo were thrown at them.
I remember seeing unopened cans of soda being thrown too.
That said, almost nothing thrown hit the officers. The protesters were throwing things over a fence, so most things were thrown in high, lazy arcs. And like I said, most of the items thrown were plastic water bottles, small ones. The police were in little danger.
The late night protests in downtown Portland at the justice center follow a pattern. As it gets really late, the protesters that are left, usually hundreds, sometimes thousands, are agitated. The police stand around in body armor on the other side of the fence that separates them until they have an excuse to declare the assembly illegal (getting things thrown at them, maybe minor vandalism in the park). The police usually give the protesters up to an hour to leave, and then out comes the gas and pepper spray.
The next night it happens again.
I am hopeful that very recent changes announced in leadership and funding help bring the sides together.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Real riot gear comes with built in protective padding. That’s why it’s riot gear and not cosplay outfit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.