In Portlandia, police confiscated chickpeas and White Claw

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/in-portlandia-police-confisca.html

3 Likes

All of those look like spur of the moment things to throw. Except the garbanzos. That’s some weird premeditation right there. “I’m going to change the world! I’m sacrificing the low sodium garbanzos!”

And to be fair, if I were a cop who was hit by garbanzos, I might do some soul searching.

11 Likes

It does suck to get hit by a thrown can of chickpeas, though.

4 Likes

IdenticalFlippantBobwhite-size_restricted

25 Likes

Sounds like a false flag op to me “Hey Clem, wadda you think hipsters would throw”
“I dunno Jeb, maybe chickpeas and whiteclaw”

14 Likes

It’s actually called the “Portland Police Bureau,” abbreviated PPB

4 Likes

I happen to agree with the whiteclaw - that shit is dangerous!

4 Likes

That was literally my first thought.

2 Likes

Its low sodium garbanzos. Not much of a sacrifice.

6 Likes

It’s amazing that someone could look down at that pile of crap and say, “See? Deadly weapons thrown with lethal intent!”

6 Likes

Notice one could not hold either bottleneck in one’s hand without cutting oneself. Hardly an effective weapon.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I’ve known multiple people who just eat garbanzos straight out of the can with no seasoning. They have all been kinda hyper-focused academic types. This was probably someones lunch.

4 Likes

PPB is not staffed by geniuses…

6 Likes

Not to mention that one could have collected any of those things off Portland streets on any given day in the last 365. Generally, it’s a pretty clean town, but not that clean.

12 Likes

Someone’s been reading The Hard Times.

3 Likes

Favorite use of garbanzos, Chana Masala

7 Likes

“Hey, we found these things on the ground after we trampled the place flat!”

“Must’ve been thrown at us. No way it was dropped in the chaos!”

15 Likes

I wnoder if they blamed this on protesters too.

17 Likes

The local Fox affiliate has been covering the nightly standoffs in front of the Justice Center that houses the PPB. Most of the items thrown at the police are water bottles, and for the most part it doesn’t look like the protesters are trying to hit the police, they just throw stuff over the fence as part of the protest.
There is a video clip that briefly shows stuff being thrown here
I remember from watching the live coverage that white claw and chickpeas, for whatever reason, were part of mess of thrown items.

7 Likes

Environmental destruction?

3 Likes