In powerful message, The Rock asks "Where is our compassionate leader?"

What is it about the US psyche that immediately assumes a compassionate statement by a public figure is done for personal gain - a carefully groomed precursor to an expression of ambition.

I seriously doubt The Rock has political aspirations. Let’s just appreciate a well thought out and expressed statement.

17 Likes

That president gave a speech yesterday at 5:00pm EST. The current one is…sorely lacking.

There are many reasons why the MOST qualified people never enter politics:

• the pay
  • the people
  • the process to get elected
  • the cost to get elected
  • fear of some skeleton in the closet being revealed
  • you only have 2 real choices for what team you play for in the US (2-team leagues are pretty limiting)
  • etc etc

So - until elected office is more appealing - we will get well-meaning actors, reality TV rejects, pundits, lobbyists…

10 Likes

Is there something about his character that you dislike? Or is it because he’s a former wrestler and an actor? There is no singular path to lead into politics and to me he’s not just charismatic but i believe him to be humble, honest, intelligent, hard working and more. If those arent qualities you want to see in a leader then i don’t know what to tell you. I don’t think he’d go into politics but if he did i would at least take him seriously regardless if he was a legitimate contender or not.

10 Likes

First off, I have nothing against Dwayne Johnson.
I wish him all the luck in any of his endeavors.

That said, were I to have left such an expansive leadership gap
that The Rock felt the need to step into it,
it would surely be time to…

4 Likes

There already is precedent in electing a wrestler/actor as a state governor

6 Likes

Who the heck is “Dennis?”

4 Likes

He’s a Florida resident for the tax breaks, company man, Reagan-style Republican. Sure, he reminds of us of a time when there was a modicum of civility across the political divide, but don’t let the nice smile and charisma fool you. He’s just another “big business and my money first” type that won’t result in any significant improvement to the middle and lower classes.

6 Likes

Time and again, that has proven not to be true. I can think of several career politicians who are far and away more competent and capable of leadership than amateurs. When it comes to legislators, an amateur get by, since they are one of many and are largely dependent on their ability to cooperate and deal with others.

Anything at an executive level position really doesn’t allow for learning as you go along. Decisive leadership means being informed, knowing the limitations of authority, and understanding the system you are working with. It becomes a recipe for either inaction, disaster or being run roughshod by one’s advisors

3 Likes

Ackkk… you’re right and I feel dumb.
Happy now?

2 Likes

Definitely not enough likes here…

2 Likes

I think it depends on the career. The best tend to be those who start at lower levels and work their way up through positions of importance, learning and evolving as they compile life experience. The worst tend to be the ones who plop themselves down in a seat somewhere and settle in for 10-20 terms, growing more isolated from the people they serve with every election.

Excepts apply, of course.

1 Like

It’s exactly because he’s a former wrestler and actor, like Jessie Ventura, Donald Trump, and (to a lesser degree) Ronald F’n Reagan.

The Rock comes across as really smart, likable, and respectable, but I am skeptical of people that can make a living by playing characters. Charisma is great and useful in a public roll, but it can also provide cover for who-knows-what that’s lurking underneath.

5 Likes

People like Jesse Ventura and Trump i can tell what kind of people they are without having insight into their personal beliefs, to me them going into politics is a joke. I don’t have a desire to see The Rock go into politics but i’ve seen enough of him to have an understanding of his character and he’s a genuine, stand up guy that knows what it means to struggle and over come that.

Also don’t take my defense of him as a criticism towards you in any way. I believe that skepticism towards public figures is needed, especially if they don’t have a track record in politics.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Arnold Schwarzenegger (Governor of California), Clint Eastwood (Mayor of Carmel-by-the-sea, CA) and Sonny Bono (Mayor of Palm Springs, CA & US Congressman). For all the time Republicans spend riffing on “Hollywood” they freaking LOVE electing Hollywood actors.

Dwayne Johnson seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders, I just hope he starts small if he decides to transition into politics instead of trying to power straight through to a major executive office he’s utterly unqualified and unprepared for.

13 Likes

Can you smell what The Rock is legislating?

4 Likes

I agree with your and @Grey_Devil’s assessment of Dwayne “T.R.” Johnson’s public persona.

However, something that just sort of came to my mind, is that the Rock owes a large portion of his fame to the McMahon family (WWE/ current Trump advisors). I am tired of being so skeptical, but these are the times.

Edited because it’s the E, not F these days.

3 Likes

The answer to no question, ever, was “more Trump”.

3 Likes

There are reasons for term limits. Experienced politicians in executive positions typically paid their dues through either state level executive or legislative positions. Developing at least some understanding of the system they work under.

Frankly 3+ years of an amateur with no experience whatsoever in elected office is really showing the limits of “non-professional in charge”. Of course not helping is how much he is enabled by “professional politicians” in his own party. So you have that as well.

Indeed.
The answer has always been…
“More cowbell!”

1 Like