In powerful message, The Rock asks "Where is our compassionate leader?"

like most football players he went to and graduated from, university (Miami). I understand that athletes may get an easy ride, although not all do. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and John Urschel come to mind as counterexamples. He doesn’t have the usual educational background that politicians have, Law. How’s that working out, so far? That’s not to say I know if he would make a good politician, I know very little about him. As for experience? It is hard to think nowadays of experience as an elected official not tainting an individual; already exposed to the corrupting influences associated with political life.

3 Likes

@David_Guilbeaul - the education I’m referring to would be in public policy, economics, law etc. The experience I’m referring to is in legislating, working on a public council or forum, representing voters -you know - politics and representation.

4 Likes

He might even appoint experts. That would be cooler!

8 Likes

The next The Rock action comedy movie script:

4 Likes

I know, I think my original response expressed an awareness of your intention, no doubt obliquely in keeping with one of my significant flaws

1 Like

Not the worst flavor by far.

It depends. On the federal level, state level, or local level. Do we install party affiliates who have risen up through the ranks of their connections and corruption? Or are we talking about an imaginary meritocracy where we bring in people who are educated in important aspects of nation running. Economists, lawyers, sociologists, etc. Or do we go a third route, where we have someone who is broadly educated but is literate enough to communicate among experts that act as her advisor?

In the public sector or private sector? Because I can find a lot of examples in the private sector where this has been done with varying degrees of success. Is it the best way to do it? Probably not. But your suggestion isn’t the only way to do things.

Like the Dick Cheney administration?

Yeah I never understood the appeal of electing someone to a position of great importance who had no relevant experience in public service. You wouldn’t choose a doctor or an architect or a lawyer or a CEO who had as little relevant experience as possible just to shake things up by bringing in an outsider, so why is that supposedly a good thing for a government official?

6 Likes

My BFF and a buncha our friends frequently have dinner together (pre-cv) at a great restaurant in Detroit’s Mexicantown. The gentleman who is the outdoor sorta maitre d’-slash-bouncer has become a good friend after many evenings of long talks. We often discuss politics, and he expressed deep sadness that The Rock had said nothing while children were caged by merkin von bankrupt. He pointed out that The Rock has enormous influence, and should have been using it all along.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m awesome at making up stories for my kids. Two a night, and the campfires with friends’ kids are friggin’ epic.

But I’ve come to realize that people who can do that well without planning tend to be pathological liars. Never trust someone who can distract your attention about whatever topic you were talking about. Especially if they do it in real time. They tend to say one thing, but the gears can be turning another way in their head.

1 Like

The list of successful “amateurs” in positions of executive power are few and far between. You see this more with legislators. It is a more forgiving area and in many cases serves as the training for future work.

No I am talking about experienced politicians. Those who have worked their way through the system from which they want to run or be an integral part of. Like leadership in everything else in the world, you have people who earned their keep and those who “knew guys”. No way around that. But to choose someone out of the blue because they aren’t familiar with any of it, doesn’t make a lot of sense.

You will find more often than not the private sector is far more forgiving for untrained amateurs as the level of accountability and public visibility can be next to nil and there isn’t an inherent adversarial situation with a readily available opposition watching one’s actions.

Yup. Eisenhower and JFK also suffered the same problem.

2 Likes

For the record, that’s not what I was suggesting.

1 Like

Or, you know, we could all try to be a little less cynical and maybe take this as a heartfelt statement made with good intentions?

5 Likes

No, thanks. Been there, done that. Besides, he lives in Florida, so let him run for governor there if he has political aspirations. I’m sure he’d be a vast improvement over DeSantis.

3 Likes

4Yb4GL2

4 Likes

Get Terry Crews as his running mate and they’ll be unstoppable.

2 Likes

Maybe mayor, then governor?

ETA: @Mangochin beat me to it

3 Likes

She’s in a different country, but I liked Glenda Jackson as a politician.

3 Likes

I’m taking this as (further) evidence that this timeline is indeed some demiurges weird spin on a Richard Kelly script.

(wasn’t well received when released, but these days it kinda just seems like the news…)

3 Likes