In Southern California, they call the wind Santa Ana

Originally published at: In Southern California, they call the wind Santa Ana | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Obligatory Chandler quotation on this:

There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.

25 Likes

Wind that blows from the Pacific to the land is an “onshore wind”.

9 Likes

Hot, dry, and howling. Every year. They even have their own scent, they bring the smell of the desert with them.

10 Likes

Southern California’s version of this. As if having to stay inside because of the forest fire smoke over the last week wasn’t depressing enough.

7 Likes

Just ban them. Have an Santa Ana Ban. Ban the Anas, Santa Banned Anas…
ETA much later: Oh come on people must I say it out loud? With a protest placard?
Ban Anas?
:banana:

9 Likes

O RLY?

2 Likes

No, the answer is clearly better raking of the desert.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought they called the wind Maria

5 Likes

Not out that far west…

7 Likes

Steely Dan is from NY and Kingston Trio is from CA, so I’ll stick with them on this one :wink:

5 Likes

They aren’t still stuck under the streets of Boston?

6 Likes

In one of those sandwiches handed through the window as the train came rumbling through there must have been an extra nickel, because they’re not still there

5 Likes

My favorite Bobs song

3 Likes

It’s nice (I love warm nights), but they also bring out the firebugs.

Every time this happens all the media starts to say “Lucky we haven’t had any major fires recently, but conditions are just brimming for a giant conflagration”, and lo and behold someone starts a fire.

It’s almost like mass advertising works.

Between that and all of the utilities’ shitty maintenance of equipment/infrastructure, we’re basically fucked.

4 Likes

A whole episode of Crazy Ex centered around the Santa Ana winds and their effect on everyone…

7 Likes

By the way, Keller Peak Fire Lookout has the greatest view following a Santa Ana wind event. Plus, you can look out before another fire that starts up across the Los Angeles basin.

1 Like

Blimey, Chandler got dark.

7 Likes

Damn, you beat me to it. One of my favourite songs from the entire series.

3 Likes

Moving to the US from Italy, I was sad to discover that most places in the country don’t have names for the winds. It seemed to me such a lack of connection to place and direction not to have a good idea of where the winds were coming from on any day.

In Italy the three I knew the best were the Tramontana (from the North), the Levante (from the East) and the Scirocco (SE).

The Scirocco blows up from the Sahara Desert, picks up sand and carries it over the Mediterranean. I remember waking up some mornings and seeing the world outside bright orange. Honestly bright orange, as if I was wearing orange sunglasses.

11 Likes