In this funny video, a mom describes how she felt after accidentally inviting all 487 of her phone contacts to her daughter’s 1st birthday party

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/29/in-this-funny-video-a-mom-describes-how-she-felt-after-accidentally-inviting-all-487-of-her-phone-contacts-to-her-daughters-1st-birthday-party.html

5 Likes

I saw that happen in a movie once.
c09729a9-00d6-4147-8be3-28c2ecfdb160_text

58cd04bc-4dae-4df7-a73b-21c3499d052a_text

Good user-interface design matters, people!

12 Likes

it might also be a “dark pattern”. they absolutely want everyone’s contact information: there’s good ad dollars there in the social graph. the bad ui might well be part of the design

14 Likes

This explains why I am getting spam emails addressed to “Old Man Neighbor”

14 Likes

That would make me “Very tall trans neighbor with purple hair,” assuming they’re the more accepting neighbors. :laughing:

8 Likes

9 Likes

I imagine (hope) my neighbors would have me stored as ‘vegetable guy’ or perhaps ‘beer guy’. Better that than ‘gruff-looking guy with all the Dandelions’

6 Likes

Years ago a secretary sent out a department notification to all 60,000 employees by mistake. Trouble was, a bunch of recipients told her of the mistake by hitting “reply all” and it snowballed. It shut down the company email servers for several days.

10 Likes

Oooh we hsd the same! Must have easily been 200 replies. Then a second wave a few days later when people who were out of office started replying.

3 Likes

What I’m struck by is that Someone had 487 phone contacts.

I’d be struggling to hit 10% of that number, and that’s if I made everyone who has my number a contact.

I have a single contact with that many numbers.

Of course it’s one called “fucking spammers” for easy blocking when I move to a different phone.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.