Incredible 1960 time capsule apartment

if you can remember the '60s, you weren’t there. (W. Gravy)

4 Likes

The only thing that seems out of place is the cursive “Food” writing on the kitchen.
But the rest of it, It’s kind of like “What I think the 60’s were” go to the thrift store and just throw everything in a room.

3 Likes

I think the ‘food’ is actually a neon sign.
it is a little cluttered, but I think that’s more the middle class version of 60s decor that they got out of a magazine. The actual designerly ones like Bel Geddes or Frank Lloyd Wright were a lot more fireplaces-as-room-dividers and other built in touches, and fewer tchochkes. They were also a lot more expensive.

I do like the era. Our house dates from the 70s, and the realtor was shocked when I told them I wasn’t going to gut it, but wanted to keep the things like redwood paneling and the Formica in the bathroom. I would have liked to keep it on the kitchen counters as well, but another 70s construction touch, particleboard used in the sink cabinets, foiled that plan. I did manage to salvage the giant double basin stainless steel sink and drainboards, however.

3 Likes

Frank Lloyd Wright died in 1959.

(We had house guests this summer who asked to visit all the FLW house tours available in the area. I now know quite a lot about the architect!)

5 Likes

Yeah, my bad. I think Bel Geddes was actually 50s as well. A lot of his concepts got carried over; I probably should have gone for Eames and Eero Saarinen and Gerry Anderson instead.

3 Likes

I don’t believe this was put together by his grandma. That is a flea market apartment put together by a hipster. No grandmother would put a 1960s shoe shine machine in the living room. It’s also heavy on the stuff guys like, not women, like deer heads and neon in the kitchen.

6 Likes

Aha! So that’s what my dad has on his door. His has a cloth turban, fuzzy beard, & a gold (leaf) tooth though…

Downvote for lack of lava lamp.

4 Likes

3 Likes

“I can relate to NASA” ===> “I’m really really really high”

3 Likes

Did you take the extra time to drive up to Spring Green, WI?

2 Likes

Hah! No, not this trip. They’ve been there already, though. But all of Oak Park, and Robie House. There are a few other FLW homes near Robie, but none are open to the public and they’re not part of an official “tour”. (Most are in horrible disrepair. Don’t get me started on how poorly engineered his houses were, so having to renovate within the bounds of being on the Historic Registry is insane: expensive beyond belief, for an end product that will be as tough to live in as it was originally.)

1 Like

At least he lived long enough to see Ayn Rand use his groundbreaking career as the inspiration for her sociopathic rapist protagonist in The Fountainhead.

5 Likes

Birds of a feather…

Sexist.

1 Like

Took a poll, did ya?

2 Likes

Obligatory

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.