Incredible catch: man on high-speed rollercoaster saves stranger's phone

While it is impressive the phone was likely dropped while the coaster was at speed so it’s not like there was an 80mph speed difference between the guy and the phone. From his point of view it was probably strangely “floating” in the air. Of course if he hadn’t had the mental acuity to grab it quickly that would have quickly changed as gravity took over.

6 Likes

Background and deets;

15 Likes

:hugs:

2 Likes

Is it just me or does it look like they are riding during a lightning storm toward the end? That seems hella dangerous.

He didn’t actually drop it. Rick was making a joke.

1 Like

“Seatbacks in upright position, laptops and other electronics stowed…”

Glad somebody caught that… with their HAND.

Yup. Was thinking the same thing. It is not like he just caught an 80mph baseball. Both he and the phone are going at the same relative speed - the phone maybe less - after all it was dropped, not thrown. He just happened to be passing its falling trajectory. Nice catch though!

3 Likes

I think you already did. :wink:

“he was in Europe representing New Zealand in the Fistballing World Championships”

Not sure if I should google Fistballing or not.

1 Like
  1. Great job with the music on this clip, I must say
  2. This is why I’ll never go on a rollercoaster. Not the threat of flying phones, the actual rollercoasting. My stomach went “kthxbye” as soon as I clicked play.
  3. Notwithstanding the good points made in previous comments re. relative speed etc, that phone still looked like it could have done, say, some dental damage in a face impact. For example, I think the lady in the vid, who was actually closer to the phone, had her eyes closed. You definitely wouldn’t expect to feel gorilla glass impacting your visage in that scenario.
1 Like

I took the risk… it’s what happened when someone asked “Hey guys, what would happen if we combined tennis and volleyball?” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAlZnLEjd8

1 Like

Yes, and I was likewise joking. Thanks for lookin’ out for me tho.

1 Like

I once had the brilliant idea to film a wooden roller coaster by putting my iPhone in the chest pocket of my western style shirt. Of course on the first drop it popped up out of my pocket. It was like watching it happen in slow motion. I caught it and held onto it with an iron grip the rest of the ride, counting my blessings for my insane luck. Not as crazy as another passenger catching it tho. Ha.

4 Likes

Apparently it’s been around for 500 years. Huh.

people do ball their fists for much longer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.