Will a raindrop cake protect a smartphone from a 100-foot drop?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/08/will-a-raindrop-cake-protect-a.html

2 Likes

I, too, recall when I first discovered the non-Newtonian fluids.

3 Likes

Things like this make me shake my head at the senseless waste of rich playboys. If I had enough money to be able to afford to buy a high end phone and then destroy it on purpose, I think I would put those funds to better use than to dropping phones from 100 feet.

8 Likes

Can I have the cake that survived?

How is it that people have so much free time?

It’s not free time, it’s their job. This is a thing people do now, make stupid videos for the internets.

4 Likes

I would be shocked if the phones weren’t provided by Samsung as a marketing expense.

1 Like

Do you drink beer? Bicycle for tens of hours each week? Fold origami? Watch NFL games? Watch cricket games? Garden?

I hope I’ve made my point clear.

2 Likes

Late stage capitalism

3 Likes

I WANT that Totoro-zilla t-shirt!

2 Likes

Obligs:

5 Likes

This is how they are getting money is by dropping phones from 100 feet.

3 Likes

I thought the same way when I watched a number of videos that involve people destroying or taking apart expensive tech, but then I realized that the audience is drawn to the fact that they’re using expensive tech.

This video has over 1.2 million views. It’s quite possible that it is paying for itself.

The rule of thumb I’ve heard is around $1000/mil views. So the video probably pays for the phone, and, further, the channel gains subscribers who earn revenue for other, maybe less expensive videos.

3 Likes

(Also @LurkingGrue)

That doesn’t really change anything for me. The video celebrates and fetishizes the wasteful sickness of consumer culture. It makes the world a worse place by existing, and that remains so regardless of how the phone was paid for.

3 Likes

Watching these - and I have watched a few of them, not just drop tests but hydraulic press/waterjet cutter/etc. - my initial reaction is always “Remember the good old days, when we used to try to protect an egg from a drop?”

But then I realize that there are, no doubt, millions of people in the world who would see all the eggs we used to break in those contests as a horrible waste of desperately-needed food. And I realize that the best I can say about my own morality is that I draw the line closer to a 25-cent egg than to a $500 smartphone.

1 Like

Indeed, it is not “all about the Benjamins”.

1 Like

So what your saying is you are not curious what happens when you boil an iphone in crayons?

Though being a bit more serious there are videos where phones are broken that are useful like when this guy tests how durable they are to things like bending and scratching and how they might wear when you use them.

That’s a different thread:

2 Likes

Did anybody else watch the video because they were wondering what a raindrop cake was?

5 Likes

I did not watch the video because lame, (all the reasons given here).
But I do want to know WTF a Raindrop Cake is!

1 Like