Industrial machine is very good at kicking out green tomatoes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/08/28/industrial-machine-is-very-goo.html

3 Likes

This is greenism.

4 Likes

I’m amazed the red ones aren’t ketchup.

3 Likes
14 Likes

saw a similar process at the Herrs potato chip factory - chips are sped up on conveyor to leap over a gap, a scanner id’s the brown or green chips, and they are blown out of the flow with an air jet when they leap the gap.

5 Likes

Poor little green maters…

2 Likes

First they came for the green ones and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t green.

11 Likes

Meanwhile next door…

download (16)

10 Likes

Among other things. Or was that just the one time?

I wonder if there are multiple passes? As there are at least two greeners that made it through this stage of the gantlet.

1 Like

Why you would ever kick out green toms is beyond me, and why you would spend time and energy designing and building a machine to do it is really beyond me!

1 Like

This is the future the alt-right wants.

1 Like

Maybe you only want greens, but reds dominate.

Kicking out the minority is always easier than kicking out the majority.

2 Likes

Well, if it’s ease you’re after, then we must certainly admit that kicking out none is easiest of all!

2 Likes

This machine is better at separating green tomatoes than I am at anything.

3 Likes

Hypothesis: The red ones are shuttled to a side belt for an extra shot of ethylene gas before being merged back into the flow…

If they’re standard American factory farm tomatoes, they’re probably still rock hard. They’ll soften during the trip to the grocery store.

1 Like

I noticed black spotted tomatoes getting through. I’m sure blossom end rot tomatoes get processed along with the rest. So, no green allowed, but everything else is good to go!

1 Like

SHUT IT DOWN! one got through…trash the crop.

It’s like real life Fruit Ninja!

1 Like