Insane video of a paper mill explosion in Maine (no one was hurt!)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/15/insane-video-of-a-paper-mill-e.html

3 Likes

9 Likes
17 Likes

Damn! Too bad there was no sound… probably a lot of “shitshitshitshitshit!”

4 Likes

Christ that’s like a town over from the Maine paper mill town where my mom grew up.

I can not imagine the smell. If you’ve never been to a paper mill town, it’s like getting slapped in the face by a wet dog that rolled in butt holes.

17 Likes

I guess that’s why paper beats Rock

6 Likes

What kind of paper? toilet paper? :grimacing:

7 Likes

Crazed, cooped up children, tightly-wound parents at their wit’s end, lighter fluid, baking soda, and burning sugar – what could go wrong?

6 Likes

I grew up in Jay, this is crazy.

I ran cross country and we definitely had home team advantage! The poor other teams would get off their busses and almost wretch. I felt like the fox in Labyrinth :slight_smile:

12 Likes

When I saw that explosion, I was shrieking on the inside “U-turn! Now! Go go go go go-go-go-go!”

Not sure why he stayed to have debris land on his car. At least the debris was already pulp by the time it arrived on his windshield, and not still in log form.

EDIT: I see now that he was in a the cab of a big truck, not a car, so he was pretty much screwed.

3 Likes

Worse then chicken farms, but still trails tanneries for smell most likely to make you vomit. I grew up in central Maine, so I know them all well.

3 Likes

Shit, what years? I ran cross country too, and definitely remember a meet or two in Jay.

4 Likes

A little late, but his was the ending The Office deserved.

4 Likes

If we count junior high, I think 1988-1992, then I moved up to Presque Isle for junior and senior years of high school. Colder, but smelled way better. How about you?

2 Likes

I’ll admit, Whil watching that video and the fact that vehicle wasn’t moving, I was thinking:

Pompeii 79AD:

“Wow, that’s just incredible. The smoke must be choking Jupiter himself!”

“What, run? Are you crazy! I’ve got to get a sketch of that. if I capture this just right, I’ll be so famous they’ll be a statue of me thousands of years from now.”

3 Likes

I’d like to introduce you to the duck farm in 100f heat and 90% humidity.

Only one left here these days though, and they use a more modern method for dealing with poop and less density.

Do not miss it.

4 Likes

No wonder, if their main piece of equipment is called a “digester”

2 Likes

Doing my best Brains impression now.

1 Like

I was a few years ahead of you. Graduated in '85 from MCI in Pittsfield. But I didn’t run my senior year after I tore up my knee triple jumping the spring before in track.

1 Like

The video actually does have sound. It’s mostly a lot of “holy fuck”. When the pulp starts splattering the truck, you get the most Maine line of all Maine lines: “Holy fuck, that ain’t good.”

8 Likes