Inside Quentin Tarantino's retro coffee shop, Pam's Coffy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/19/inside-quentin-tarantinos-retro-coffee-shop-pams-coffy.html

5 Likes

Just to be clear, the :heart: is for/because of Pam Grier.

6 Likes

Is that statue supposed to be what Tarantino thinks Pam Grier looks like?

1 Like

I doubt it. She is wearing shoes.

10 Likes

Went to the Vista a few months ago to see an IB Technicolor print of American Graffiti. Think what you like about the man himself, between the Vista and the New Beverly he’s doing the Lord’s Work in preserving the classic film-going experience. Not to mention how he’s worked to bring a sense a artistic legitimacy to a class of film that would otherwise be relegated to the ravages of vinegar syndrome.

6 Likes

Is Pam Grier getting a decent share of the proceeds?

11 Likes

Good question - it’s hard to imagine that he didn’t at least clear it with her on whatever terms she requested - the impression I get from interviews is that they have a pretty good relationship. And if not, I’ve never gotten the sense that Pam is a shrinking violet - I imagine she’d have something to say about it.

All speculation on my part, of course.

3 Likes

I hope your impressions are right; personally, I can’t help but see the meta-ness in a rich White culture vulture further profiting off the image of a Black woman he “reveres,” (not to mention the entire genre of Blaxploitation.)

Even as I recognize the man’s talent, I still find both him and his opportunistic appropriation to be gross as fuck.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.