Inside the studio of John T. Unger, creator of gorgeous sculptural firebowls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/05/inside-the-studio-of-john-t-unger-creator-of-gorgeous-sculptural-firebowls.html

7 Likes

Looking at that pile of offcuts - the ‘negative space’ patterns left after creating the bowls, I could not help thinking there must be a use for those. Stencils, maybe, though very heavy for that purpose - but there must be some ‘arty’ application for them.

4 Likes

Weld them together to make sculptures.
(That’s what I’d do.)

6 Likes

Relief collage on the next firebowl.

6 Likes

Or maybe hang them randomly on a bunch of wires to make monster wind-chimes.

7 Likes

Yep – I thought that too, while looking at them. They’d look awesome turned into a metal sculpture of their own …

3 Likes

I love that idea too!

CLANG CLANG CLANG

3 Likes

Do suggest it to him. :wink:

3 Likes

from time to time John has offered smaller scale sculptures made from these negative space pieces. They are compelling as you might imagine.

2 Likes

I want to point out that John Unger’s work in mosaics is also awesome - search out his anatomical series.

3 Likes

I have hundreds of hex wrenches of all sizes, always thought they’d make a cool windchime.

I always wondered, where does one buy the raw tanks?

I could make a hell of a forge out of one of those, a blast furnace shell too. How much are they?

3 Likes

Absolutely will do

3 Likes

Yep yep – I took a pile of photos of his anatomical work, which is done indoors, closeup shots of all his gazillion pieces of marble and the tools for cutting them into precise shapes. At some point in the future I’ll do a photo-essay on that one, too …

3 Likes

I’ve use the scraps for many different kinds of sculptures. I’ve layered them inside a steel frame to make large relief panels, used them to make leaves for steel trees and re-cut them to make little abstract sculptures a la Matisse’s cut out collages. Some of the small sculptures are available in my online store if you look under “View collections” > “Fire Imps.”

4 Likes

I do cut shapes from the larger scraps that are used for relief sculpture on some of the firebowls.

3 Likes

Love your work.

3 Likes

Thanks, Tim!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.