Inside your home stuff

14 Likes

That seems awful literal… :grin:

6 Likes

Given how many chairs in this world are used as a clotheshorse and never sat upon…

11 Likes

Annexing more basement space.

11 Likes

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

7 Likes

I repainted the house number plaque, and shined up the brass-ish numbers. (Photo not included because I’d just have to blur it. :laughing:)

A few years ago, someone talked a lot of the neighbours on the street into black numbers and street name in cursive typeface on the brick. Bleh! They’re not readable at night. The absolute worst part is that the house across the street has a slightly different typeface from the rest of them.

“Hey, do you them in Papyrus or Comic Sans?”

10 Likes

The fire department might have a strong opinion about black cursive lettering.

9 Likes

Since folks are talking about flooring in this thread, I have some good news for folks who are living with someone with pica

Linoleum is generally composed of wood flour, cork dust, linseed oil, pine tree resin, minerals and pigments, and jute fibers—all naturally occurring, decomposable, and renewable materials. “It’s actually edible,” says Mark Bisbee, owner of flooring company GreenFloors, where he sells one of the most popular linoleum products, Marmoleum, which is manufactured by Forbo. (Not that we actually suggest eating it.)

Forbo’s Marmoleum is CO2 neutral and environmentally friendly, according to an evaluation called the life cycle assessment, or LCA, which considers every stage of a product’s life, from the harvesting of the raw materials to the product’s eventual disposal or recycling. And linoleum lives a relatively long life: Brisbee says the linoleum installed in his grandmother’s farmhouse 50 years ago has endured.

13 Likes

After I painted the basement floor clean cream white, the rusty drain cover stood out like a pimple, so I hit it with a couple coats of rattle can antique bronze.

It’s not pretty, but hey, it’s a drain cover, and it’s a lot better than rust with smears of concrete.

14 Likes

Used the exact same rattle can antique bronze on an old rusty patio table & chairs. It’s a classic choice!

10 Likes

The metallic glints in the paint will look nice in the sun. (Probably not going to happen in the basement.)

There are so many really interesting spray paints now, it makes me want to think up projects so that I can try them. :smile:

9 Likes

Funny you should mention that, as I’ve just come here to share a potential first step prior to repainting: by removing the yucky old paint first, with dry ice!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/1b8tczp/dryice_cleaning/

8 Likes

Damn! That’s awesome!

6 Likes

Cool (heh), never heard of that.

What’s underneath looks like a prepared (varnished?) surface. I wonder how well that would work when the paint is covering raw wood, or a surface that’s been primed.

9 Likes

Obligs:

2 Likes

11 Likes

No, just no. With three cats in the house, I deal with enough cat vomit as is, and I do NOT need to evoke that chore every morning watching my coffee brew.

13 Likes

Today, I am a Mason!

Patched an odd divot in the concrete. Not structural, like some klutz left something resting on it before it set. A little sanding, two coats of paint, all gone!

12 Likes

Fuck fuck fuck.

Replacing the kitchen sink, and we needed center mount drains to fit the existing mess under the sink. Those aren’t the style any more, so the places all had offset drains in stock. Okay, dig through Rona’s online site, find a center hole one, check the spec and dimensions PDFs, yep, center holes. Order it.

It arrives, correct part number on the box, go to install it, and the sink in the box is offset holes. FUCK!

“All the cool people order stuff online, they said. No one needs to go to the store and look at the physical stock, they said.” So… Either put the old sink back and wait for the correct unit (if available), or try to booge a connection with this one. Damnit!

15 Likes

I do love cats, I do love coffee. I think I hate this particular mash-up, though. Cat spit is not appetizing in much of any way.

11 Likes