Inside your home stuff

Better than dispensing from the other end though.

8 Likes

Go home, AI, you’ve drunk too many cats.

6 Likes

Right, so now we’re playing Apollo 13 with ABS parts to figure out how to make it fit. There’s a whole tree of glued bits on top of the drain line to fit the two sink drains and the dishwasher. The minimum necessary change would be to cut the tree at the bottom, add two 45 bends to move the tree 2 1/2", then glue it back together, minus what the bends will add. That’s within what I’ve done before, I think…

We’ll probably go up to Rona to complain, but they’re likely to say “Aw, too bad. Here’s your refund.” :scream_cat:

11 Likes

What if you’re serving Kopi luwak coffee?

8 Likes

80ef1d66-60ee-4baf-8911-395cb90ad750_text

(And should you need to escalate to a Rich Purnell Maneuver - for God’s sake, do the math first.)

7 Likes

And dry-fit test before gluing it!

8 Likes

Added the jog, and the new sink is in.

A home improvement cautionary tale from the late Stuart McLean:

12 Likes

13 Likes

Fridges:
Brands to avoid?
Any model anyone really likes?

Our priorities are 1. As dumb as possible and 2. Has built in water filter

7 Likes

LG and Samsung are near impossible to get parts for, but most of them are designed to be disposable anymore. Maytag, Whirlpool prob best. This is according to our 80 yo appliance repair guy, so FWIW.

10 Likes

KitchenAid does a decent job for a lot less than the luxury brands.

9 Likes

Unfuckingbelievable! That kitchen is actually worse than ours! Here I thought we had no counter space. Poor Grandma!

6 Likes

If grandma can reach those tins on the cupboard above the fridge, either take her ladder away, or…

Does the house have chicken feet?

8 Likes

OMG tophat-eek I didn’t even think of that!

fool52 hiding behind the couch

When I showed Grandma’s kitchen to my BF, I said, “Look! This one’s worse than ours!” He made suitably horrified noises, and said, “Ours is awful, but it’s attached to this!” & made a broad gesture to indicate the house. “We have no idea what that is attached to.”

The place I grew up in had a big kitchen for the home’s size. Like our current one, it was evidently designed by someone who didn’t know how to boil an egg.
Good thing 'twere only the two of us: three whole cupboards over the sink, three under the sink area, one over the fridge. None were large. Had we more money for food, we would’ve needed more cupboards. The dishes and serving pieces lived in a hutch in the dining room.
The only counters were on either side of the sink. They were tiled, like the entire sink area, and both sections were maybe two ft square, and one was occupied by the dish drainer! I don’t know how we managed to cook anything - we musta put a cutting board on the stove. It was bad enough I’ve blocked the memory.

10 Likes

Honestly, my maternal grandma’s kitchen looked almost exactly like that. Only one person at a time could be in there.

10 Likes

That’s what kitchen tables are for!

7 Likes

We didn’t have one. Maybe we used the dining room table :thinking:

3 Likes

Beware of the water filters. Many have chips in them and a timer in the fridge that turns on a “change filter” warning light after X days (or X liters). While that sounds good and noble, the dark side of this is if you buy a third-party filter (for half the price) it won’t have the right chip, and the “change filter” light will remain on.

There’s also no way of knowing if an “expired” filter is still good or not (hint: it’s likely still good for long after the factory recommendation.)

Some people have figured out how to hack the chips out of the “filter bypass cartridge” and tape them onto the 3rd party filters, but it’s just ridiculously frustrating.

It’s a long-winded way to suggest you research the filter replacement process before buying one.

Another option is to install a reverse-osmosis water filter in your house, and feed the fridge from the filtered water. An RO filter can be had starting around $200, and you can put an RO tap on your sink for drinking and cooking, connect the fridge and icemaker to it, and still have RO water available for your plants (especially orchids, which are sensitive to most minerals in tap water).

12 Likes

The sales dude was surprised when we said we wanted a dumb fridge. Got one that will do the ice even without a filter and we’ll be installing an under-sink filter soon.

We went ahead and got a consumer report subscription to check things out and went with this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-33-in-W-26-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-w-Multi-Air-Flow-and-Smart-Cooling-in-PrintProof-Stainless-Steel-LRDCS2603S/312284005

It isn’t everything I want. But what I want is probably out of our price range and way too IoT to be comfortable

Time was a factor because this is tax-free weekend on energystar and, as a result, big sales.

Planning on this filter set, mostly because the PFAS filtering is good. Water is definitely where we consume the most H20. This one was highest rated on consumer reports and we couldn’t discover anything bad about it

10 Likes

Looks like a good choice. Someday you’ll appreciate the door alarm. You should be able to easily add a T to that undersink filter to feed the icemaker. And the filter looks decent, too; and not too expensive for the replacement filters.

Well chosen.

4 Likes